Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

I am a yr. old female, diagnosed 2 yrs. ago with Branch

Customer Question
I am a 69 yr...
I am a 69 yr. old female, diagnosed 2 yrs. ago with Branch Retinal Vein Occlusion. I am currently being treated with Lucentis injections. I am now going through a series of six injections, and while I feel my doctor is good, and I trust him, I am wondering if this treatment is the best, ***** ***** this condition reversible? I have also had 2 laser treatments.
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Eye
Answered in 1 minute by:
2/16/2012
Eye Doctor: Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD replied 5 years ago
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

It sounds like your branch retinal vein occlusion (BRVO) has caused swelling and/or damage to the area of your retina called the macula.

Customer:

Yes, I also have that.

Dr. Rick :

As a retina specialist it sounds to me like you are getting state of the art care.

Dr. Rick :

Is it reversable? That will depend upon how much damage was done to your macula and the retinal capillary system (and an area called the foveal avascular zone) by your BRVO.

Dr. Rick :

Less then 10 years ago all we had was the laser. Obviously that didn't work for you. In this situation I would, all other things being equal, use injections with a medicine called either avastin, lucentis, or a new one called afibercept.

Customer:

I have had Avastin, previously, and my Dr. thinks Lucentis is the best treatment for now.

Dr. Rick :

They are very similar in their molecular action and work about the same. That being said, it is not a bad idea to try lucentis if the avastin response has not been as good as one would have liked.

Dr. Rick :

Lucentis is about 100x more expensive though.....

Dr. Rick :

I don't have enough experience yet with afibercept to tell if it will work better then either of the other two drugs we've discussed. Time will tell.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Customer:

Thankyou for your time, and answers. My family has been urging me to get a 2nd opinion.

Dr. Rick :

A second opinion can never hurt.......It has been my pleasure to help you.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Let me know if there is anything else you would like to discuss pertaining to this issue.
I hope that the swelling of your macula resolves soon :)
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD