Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I am a 66 year old female. I have eyes. The outer rim of my

I am a 66 year old female. I have brown eyes. The outer rim of my iris has been changing to a grey-blue color. This has been going on for more than a year. What is causing this condition?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

The most common cause of your condition is a change in your cornea called arcus senilis

Dr. Rick :

At your age it is usually not an indication of any sort of problem however, when it occurs in younger people (30's etc) it might be an indication that their blood cholesterol levels are too high.

Dr. Rick :

Here is an excellent article on this topic:

Dr. Rick :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arcus_senilis

Dr. Rick :

and here are a bunch of pictures of the many ways that this condition can look in various people:

Dr. Rick :

http://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images?_adv_prop=image&fr=ytff1-&va=arcus+senilis

Dr. Rick :

What is the take home message? There is nothing you did to cause this, there is nothing that you can take, eat or do to change this and it is nothing to worry about.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick :

I guess that you must have stepped away from your computer. I'll switch over to the Q&A system. This system works a lot like 'text messaging' but an email is sent to each of us anytime something is posted to this thread. We can continue to work on your question there..... :)

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
Let me know if there is anything else you would like to discuss pertaining to this issue.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
will the new color eventually take over or will I always have the grey ring around the brown?
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
The gray ring will remain pretty much the same color although it may get a little thicker as the years go on. It will never become so large and wide as to take over the color of your eye or to interfere with your vision.