Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

Hi, I have something resembling a stye on the lower eyelid

Hi, I have something resembling a stye on the lower eyelid in the punctum area. It stays about same for a week. I don't have any pain and the eye look normal, it is not red. I don't feel anything when I blink. It just have this terrible look. It looks like a cone, when I pull eyelid away from the eye, with read eyelid in nearby area, about 1.5 mm. I don't see any discharge or matter coming out of it. Can you advice to wait more, and may be do warm compresses, or see the doctor?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Customer:

Hi. Do you see my question?

Dr. Rick :

yes

Dr. Rick :

Is it possible for you to take a picture and upload it to me?

Customer:

Can I do it later, say in 24 hours? I don't have my camera at the moment. How to upload the picture, btw?

Dr. Rick :

You just put the picture on your desktop and then use the paperclip on your screen to browse for the "image URL" (first box on the popup screen) and then hit "insert"

Dr. Rick :

If you don't want to wait I can try to figure out what is going on by chatting....but, like they say, a picture is worth a thousand words :)

Customer:

OK. Should we put this on hold until I have a picture?

Dr. Rick :

It you would like....

Customer:

Is there anything else I should consider meanwhile?

Dr. Rick :

Why don't we try to work this out without a picture........it does sound like a plugged up meibomium gland/early stye.

Customer:

ok. why it stays that long without getting worse or better?

Dr. Rick :

It can do that if the gland is just plugged up and doesn't have an active infection. This is common when there is an underlying condition called blepharitis.....which happens a lot.

Dr. Rick :

These bumps form when a gland in your eyelid gets plugged up and possibly infected. It is very often associated with a condition called blepharitis.

The treatment for this condition, however, is not antibiotics but rather cleaning the eyelids with baby shampoo. Buy some unscented baby shampoo and, in the shower, put the shampoo on your index fingers. Close your eyes, and raise your eyelids (to get skin out of the way) and scrub back and forth along your EYELASH margin. This is where the gland openings are located. The warm water will soften the gunk in the plugged glands, the friction and pressure of your fingers will massage the glands, forcing the gunk out and the shampoo will wash it away. You can also use warm compress to the affected lids during the day as your schedule allows.

This treatment will help to treat the bump on your eyelid while at the same time solving your underlying blepharitis. The lump may take many weeks to go away but you should notice some improvement in a few days or so.

Customer:

I am going to try that and accept the answer. Will I be able to ask you more if there is no improvement in 3-4 days?

Dr. Rick :

Yes. Just post to this thread or ask for me at the link at the bottom of this page. I'll be happy to continue our chat at no additional charge.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
Let me know if there is anything else you would like to discuss pertaining to this issue.
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
There was no changes for last 3 days. I have been doing warm compresses and washing and gently rubbing the bump (the stye?). I have a couple pictures. Please comment on them?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Relist: Other.
I just was offered an option to ask any doctor because Dr. Rick was busy or offline.
Expert:  Doctor Natasha replied 5 years ago.
Hi
I was following your question. I do agree with Dr. Rick- it is an inflammed gland. Usually they respond well to baby shampoo. But seeing that yours has not, you need to get see by a physician and get a prescription for antibiotics- gentamicin or erythromicin. I would suggest that you see someone today (or go the ER) because you do not want this to get worse over the weekend

warm regards

Please click the GREEN ACCEPT BUTTON if you found this helpful. It you need more clarification, just ask. It allows me to help people like you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It is not getting worse or better, it just the same for 1.5 weeks. I have not had this before. It is late to see a physician and I am travelling at the moment, so I am somewhat constrained doing that. It is not of this very urgent nature to go to ER. I don't think it is a reasonable advice. Do I have any options like buying any OTC ointment in the drug store, or just continue with baby shampoo staff and warm compress.
There is no OTC antibiotic ointment you can put on it. If you feel it is not changing then you can see a physician next week

warm regards

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for the picture....well, Dr. Reid and I are on the same page as far as your diagnosis. Topical eye drops or ointment may work if you do not want to use oral antibiotics...

Let me know if there is anything else I can do to help