Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

Can a patient whose optic nerve was compressed due to a

Customer Question
craniopharyngioma regain vision post-operatively if...
Can a patient whose optic nerve was compressed due to a craniopharyngioma regain vision post-operatively if the nerve was not damaged and "popped out" upon removal of the tumor?
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Eye
Answered in 1 minute by:
2/14/2012
Eye Doctor: Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD replied 5 years ago
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Customer:

Thank you.

Dr. Rick :

Yes. Sometimes, if the pressure was not on the nerve for too long and the vascular supply was not compromised due to the compression vision can be regained post op/

Dr. Rick :

This being said, there is no good way to predict if vision will return or not.....it is more of a wait and hope type of a deal.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Customer:

Yes, my mother has had surgery to remove two tumors. With the first surgery vision was lost in her right eye. With the second surgery she is now completely sightless. We have been told by her neurosurgeon that it's a good probability that her vision will return to at least the same quality prior to the surgery.

Customer:

She had surgery 6 days ago removing a tumor from the left side.

Dr. Rick :

I agree with the neurosurgeon -- this is entirely possible. Since he actually looked at the optic nerve during the operation he is in a good position to make that statement.

Dr. Rick :

Since the surgery was only 6 days ago there is still a lot of swelling in the surgical area......give things time and think positive :)

Customer:

We'll all believing that her vision will return, but it's really scary for us all at this time since she is sightless at ony 65 years of age.

Dr. Rick :

Yes. I can understand how scary that is. The good news is that the tumors have been safely removed and things are healing up.

Dr. Rick :

And your mother does have a very good chance to regain vision.....the surgeon wouldn't give you false hope and neither would I....

Customer:

Thank you for the reassurance. I am confident in her recovering. Can you offer any post-operative eye care she should engage in.

Dr. Rick :

There is nothing special she has to do specifically in the way of caring for her eyes as the issue,as you know, is not with the eyeballs themselves but rather with the optic nerve.....just follow her post op instructions and keep a positive attitude. I tell patients that, in some cases, improvement can continue to be seen even 4 months after surgery.

Customer:

Our father passed unexpectedly a few months ago and now this. Although her doctor has given us a favorable prognosis we're all very anxious. Thank you for your advice and time.

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure. I am sorry to hear about your family's loss. Give my best to your mom.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Let me know if there is anything else you would like to discuss pertaining to this issue.
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD