Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

I had an episode of iritus. The vision in my left eye is

Customer Question
blurred and has been for...
I had an episode of iritus. The vision in my left eye is blurred and has been for 2 months. The treatment was drops and now the inflammation is gone but it is still blurred. I cannot seem to study any and think it has done some short term rewiring of my brain or something. With one eye would it be better to get an eye patch so my brain sees without the blurred info coming from the one eye. What would this condition be called?
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Eye
Answered in 1 minute by:
2/10/2012
Eye Doctor: Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD replied 5 years ago
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

It sounds like you are having problems with possible ghost images or mild double vision due to the blurry vision in the eye that has been affected by the iritis. I don't think that, at least at your age, the problem is with any sort of brain rewiring.

Customer:

Dr. Rick :

Using an eye patch is a good idea and won't hurt a thing.

Dr. Rick :

Are you available to chat/

Dr. Rick :

?

Customer:

The question is about how the information processed through one eye clear and one blurred affects the process.

Customer:

yes

Dr. Rick :

Is there anything else you would like to ask me tonight?

Customer:

The question is ...Does blurred vision in one eye affect the capability to process and evaluate information? If so what is the condition called and how do I make the best of it?

Dr. Rick :

It is called asthenopia. The best thing to do is have a complete eye exam by your ophthalmologist to see if there is a correctable issue contributing to your vision problems. If not, then your idea of wearing an eye patch is a good one. Of course, you would have to check local laws about driving with one eye occluded but it should work well for reading, studying etc.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

I guess you have stepped away from your computer.

Customer:

Dr., with all due respect I do not think we are on the right track. The question is clear but your response is off track.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick :

Asthenopia is the name of your issue.

Customer:

No it is not, sorry.

Dr. Rick :

Use of an eye patch is a good idea.

Dr. Rick :

Are you saying that is not the name of what you have or that I am not addressing your question?

Customer:

The blurryness is from iritus/inflamattion, not from fatigue. The processing of information is what I asked about.

Dr. Rick :

Ok. I do not believe that your problem is due to the processing of the information in your brain but rather by the fact that one image is very blurry and being superimposed on a clear image.

Dr. Rick :

A visit to an ophthalmologist should be able to better define what is going on if you are not comfortable trying to wear an eye patch and seeing if that helps.

Dr. Rick :

I hope I am addressing your issue. It seems to me that your question was very straight forward and easy to understand.

Customer:

OK Dr., if this is true..I do not believe that your problem is due to the processing of the information in your brain but rather by the fact that one image is very blurry and being superimposed on a clear image...., what processes the information my eye sees, the eye or the brain?

Dr. Rick :

I'm not sure if you are still there. My screen shows that you have left the chat room.

Customer:

Stiil here

Dr. Rick :

The eye does some "pre-processing" but your brain does the vast majority of the work.

Dr. Rick :

It is not, in my opinion, a problem with your brain but rather a problem with your binocular vision that is causing your symptoms.

Customer:

Exactly

Dr. Rick :

Whew! At least we are on the same page now :)

Customer:

Brain cannot process bad info from bad eye..

Dr. Rick :

So. The simple solution to this complex problem is to try an eye patch

Dr. Rick :

Like a pirate patch.....

Dr. Rick :

Something seems to be wrong with the chat system. I show you entering and leaving the chat room and typing but nothing comes through.

Customer:

Regardless of what the solution either of Us thinks may help...is there a name for this exact situation/condition?

Customer:

Not in the eye but the problem of processing info correctly.

Dr. Rick :

Not a good one that I know of....asthenopia is the general term used to describe eye strain, issues with reading etc.......it is the term that best fits what you are describing on your post.

Dr. Rick :

Asthenopia covers issues with processing problems.........I guess I don't have the answer you are looking for; perhaps a consultation with a neuro-ophthalmologist will give you the information you are seeking.

Dr. Rick :

I believe Dr. James on this section of JustAnswer is a neuro-ophthalmologist. You could ask him if you don't want to be examined in person for this issue.

Dr. Rick :

The chat system has frozen up on my side......

Dr. Rick :

I'll switch over to the Q&A system. This system works a lot like 'text messaging' but an email is sent to each of us anytime something is posted to this thread. We can continue to work on your question there..... :)

I'm still here if you would like to continue our conversation. If not, then.....
Let me know if there is anything else you would like to discuss pertaining to this issue.
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Binocular teaming is the ability of both eyes to work together to provide accurate information to the brain. Binocularity and stereopsis (the working together of the two eyes in providing different views to the brain which are integrated into one image) are important visual processing skills and are responsible for providing depth perception. These visual perception skills are necessary in order to perform a variety of visual tasks such as tracking, fixating, converging and visual motor integration. These tasks are important for reading, writing and functioning in the classroom or workplace. Inability to perform these tasks well has a detrimental effect on an individual's ability to function in society. It also has a tremendously negative effect on children in the classroom.
In order to deal with binocular deficiencies it is important to become involved in some type of vision therapy. There are many types of therapies available which help to address these problems. When choosing a vision therapy approach it is important to remember that vision is a brain process of which the eyes are only a part. It is also important to remember that vision is not a process unto itself but is tightly integrated with, and dependent upon, the vestibular system (sense of balance). A variety of vision problems occur when both eyes do not work properly together. For instance, one eye might not be processing as much information as the other, one or both eyes may not focus at a specific point due to over or under-convergence and/or there may be vertical or horizontal alignment problems that cause the aim of the eyes to be incorrect.
I must admit that I am not a big believer in vision therapy......
I think that a discussion with a neuro-ophthalmologist would be good idea. As I said, Dr.James on JustAnswer has Neuro training and he may be able to better assist you.
Thanks for your earlier accept. Have a good evening.
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD