Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

Am I a good candidate for laser surgery, and what are the

Customer Question

Am I a good candidate for laser surgery, and what are the risks and costs?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
In order to give you any meaningful answer I need more information:
What is your eye glass prescription?
Do you have any medical problems?
Do you have any eye problems?
How old are you?
What would you like to get out of your eye surgery?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I am a 41 year old male, currently wearing glasses for relatively mild astigmatism. No other medical problems. My goal here is not to have to wear glass at all if possible, both for reading and sports.
I'm actually pretty sure I'm a candidate, but I'd like to know specifically what the risks are (percentage likelihood of success or failure etc), and also the price range that I should expect to pay (it's not covered under my insurance).
thanks,
edwin
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
Well, at your age you will need to use glasses to read after Lasik surgery......
Every surgeon has their individual statistics concerning various risks of the surgery so, with the specific data you want, I think it is best to ask your prospective eye surgeon those questions.
Prices range from $400/eye in Canada and some discount places to 2,500/eye at the premier facilities. Lasik is a very safe and effective surgery but -- if you never want to wear reading glasses --- it is NOT for you.
Here is a great webpage on lasik surgery:
http://www.seewithlasik.com/docs/lasik-complications.html
Does this make sense to you?
And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)
I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.
Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.
Let me know if there is anything else you would like to discuss pertaining to this issue.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
thanks for the help.
edwin
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
My Pleasure. Good luck to you.