Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

My new born, male, 13 days old........ we have noticed that

my new born, male, 13...
my new born, male, 13 days old........
we have noticed that his left eye does not open completely and from eye judgement, it looks that eye opening is 30% less then the right eye.
pl advise !!
2/8/2012
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Is the child otherwise normal and healthy? Were there any complications at birth?

Dr. Rick :

Also, does it seem like the eyelid droops enough so that the child can not see out of the eye? What I mean is, can you see the baby's pupil (the round, dark center of his eye) or does the droopy lid cover the pupil such that. in your opinion, the baby's vision is blocked in his left eye?

Customer:

The child is other wise healthy and normal

Dr. Rick :

Ok. That is good news.

Customer:

also no complication at birth

Dr. Rick :

There are a number of conditions that can cause a newborns eyelid to not open fully. Some of these can be diagnosed and managed by a pediatrician and some of them require evaluation by an ophthalmologist, preferably a pediatric ophthalmologist.

Customer:

only eye lid is slightly drooping

Dr. Rick :

Ok. I understand that the right eye seems normal in all respects.

Customer:

ya ....you are right

Customer:

right eye is ok in all respect

Customer:

also pupil is visible in the left eye

Dr. Rick :

One of the most feared complications of a droopy eyelid in such a young child is something called occlusion amblyopia. If the boy can not see out of the eye for any reason the connections to the brain will not form and, even if everything else is normal, he will have poor vision. There are treatments to prevent and treat this condition but the sooner therapy is started the better.

Dr. Rick :

Good. If his pupil is not covered I would feel that the risk of occlusion amblyopia is not as great. That being said I think it is important that you have his pediatrician take a look at him and consider getting the baby in for a complete eye exam with a pediatric ophthalmologist.

Dr. Rick :

At this point, however, I don't think there is any need to panic.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Customer:

okay ! thats good

Dr. Rick :

Congrats on the new addition to the family by the way :)

Customer:

also there is query

Customer:

do you suggest any excersize for this right now or after some months or as you advise ....which you may think that be of any help

Customer:

thanks for the congrats :)

Dr. Rick :

I do not believe that you should waste time trying any sort of exercises to "fix" the lid. This is not something that exercise, diet etc is going to help and all you will end up doing is delaying treatment.

Dr. Rick :

Baby' s should work correctly straight from the factory ;)

Customer:

so you suggest that we should at immedaite opt for the optohomologist advise here

Customer:

ya :)

Customer:

do you think that doctor here will advise for any kind of surgery in such situation ----what your experiance says here

Dr. Rick :

You should try to get in the sometime in the next few weeks. If the pupil was covered I'd say you should try to get in right away but, from what you have told me some minor delay shouldn't be a huge issue.

Dr. Rick :

It all depends on what is causing the lid to be droopy. If it is congenital ptosis surgery is the treatment of choice, with the timing of the surgery dependent on a number of factors which can only be ascertained with a complete eye exam.

Dr. Rick :

But let's not get all worried about any possible forms of treatment until all the facts are in hand. You have already taken a positive step by getting more information about the baby's condition....now keep up the good work and go see an eye MD....

Customer:

doctor, i am his father and i had a ptosis issue since birth.............so some thing from inheritence

Dr. Rick :

There is not any clinical studies that say this is can be inherited but clinical experience shows that it can follow family lines....

Customer:

hammm

Customer:

i have operated my eye ptosis when i was 32 years old .................

Dr. Rick :

Do you have amblyopia (lazy eye)?

Customer:

mean ?

Dr. Rick :

Is your vision normal in the eye that had the droopy lid?

Customer:

yes .....its ok

Customer:

but some time i think that its little on lower mark then my other eye

Customer:

in my case it covered a little part of pupile

Dr. Rick :

that is good. Anyway, you might even be able to take your son to your ophthalmologist for an evaluation if you can't get him in to a pediatric ophthalmologist in the near future.

Dr. Rick :

I am glad to hear that your son's pupil is not blocked.

Customer:

ya...it was now around 5 years back and not sure he will be there around

Dr. Rick :

But the lid still needs to be evaluated in the near futer.

Customer:

ya

Customer:

i agree and me and wife just agreeing to take he to the doc ASAP

Dr. Rick :

Just do your best to get him evaluated, even if it is only by his pediatrician.

Dr. Rick :

Sounds like an excellent plan.

Customer:

although i have asked here this question for my baby but if you permit may i ask a Q for my self relaetd to my prosis issue

Dr. Rick :

And, remind your wife....no need to panic at the moment :)

Dr. Rick :

sure. go ahead

Customer:

ya yaa..................thanks so much

Customer:

i have operated it but after operation now my eye does not completely close around 60-70% of the nights.............slightly open

Customer:

it was around 20% ptosis................they just cut the slight lid part

Dr. Rick :

That can happen. Make sure to protect your eye with an ointment, such as lacrilube or refresh PM to keep your cornea from drying out at night.

Customer:

what you suggest ....any excerisze or a small re-Operate

Dr. Rick :

Did they take a piece of tissue from the side of your leg to use in your eyelid surgery

Customer:

no

Customer:

ptosis was not that much

Dr. Rick :

OK. Well, at this point there is not much you will be able to do to make your eye close all the way at night. If it really bothers you another operation could be done, but then you might end up too droopy....it is hard to hit it right on the money, especially after more then one surgery.

Customer:

hammm

Customer:

any excersize to make it little more comfotable

Dr. Rick :

Nope....sorry about that. There are no exercises that can help with this I'm afraid....

Customer:

okay

Customer:

thankyou so much doctor for all the help and advise both for my son and myself

Customer:

once we will see with our doc, then is it possible that we reconnect with you

Dr. Rick :

Yes. You can post back to this thread even after you hit accept or ask for me at the link below.

Dr. Rick :

When it comes to allergies it is almost impossible to pin down the offending agent(s) and, therefore, treatment needs to focus on controlling the symptoms. Dry eyes are very common and can be improved by a stepwise series of therapies. First, the use of natural tears 4-6+ times/day to augment your natural tear production, if this doesn’t work then you can try temporary punctal occlusion of the lower puncta, then, if needed, temporary occlusion of all 4 puncta then, if indicated, surgical ( non-reversible) closure of the puncta. The openings to your tear drainage system are called puncta and you have one opening on each lid, near your nose.

Blepharitis is a condition where glands in the eyelids are not functioning normally. They become plugged and instead of putting out their normal clear, oily secretions, they put out thick, toothpaste like gunk. You may not be able to see this “gunk” yourself, unless it is really bad, but it shows up clearly on slit lamp examination.

The best treatment for this condition daily lid scrubs combined with warm compresses. I like to use baby shampoo for lid scrubs. In the shower, place the shampoo on your index fingers, close your eyes, raise your eyebrows (to stretch the skin on your eyelids) and scrub back and forth along your eyelashes for 3 to 5 minutes. The hot water in the shower helps to soften the plugged oils in the glands while the mechanical scrubbing with your soapy fingers removes the oils.

Baby shampoo lid scrubs will also help to wash away allergens and stimulate tear production, thereby addressing all three of your issues. Remember, this is not an instant fix. While you are waiting for the lid scrubs to have affect you can use over the counter allergy pills such as Travist, dimetapp or Zyrtec.

Should your symptoms get worse, your vision become significantly affected or things just not get better in 3 weeks or so you should have a complete eye examination by your local ophthalmologist to look for other, less common, causes of your symptoms.

Dr. Rick :

Oops....hit the wrong button lol! You can ignore that last post......

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Let me know if there is anything else you would like to discuss pertaining to this issue.
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD