Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

My husband has a growth in his eye it looks like a clump of

tissue on the white inner...
my husband has a growth in his eye it looks like a clump of tissue on the white inner part of his eye. it is getting bigger. he says he never noticed it till today. he does wear glasses. what could this be?
Answered in 1 minute by:
2/6/2012
Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Dr. James :

Hello.

Dr. James :

Does he have any eye pain? or change in vision?

Customer:

change in vision yes pain no

Dr. James :

What change in vision has he having?

Customer:

blurred at times and always foggy he is constanly washing his glasses because he feels they are dirty but still foggy when they are clean

Dr. James :

What color is the clump of tissue?

Customer:

white with a little red around

Dr. James :

It is likely your husband has an inflamed pinguecula.

Customer:

what causes this and what does he do to get it taken care of

Dr. James :

A pinguecula is a scar tissue on the surface of the eye. usually it is barely noticeable. It forms in response to dryness and UV sun exposure.

Dr. James :

It takes months to years to form, however.

Dr. James :

It is more noticeable now because it is inflamed, thus causing it to increase in size.

Dr. James :

Your husband should use artificial tears to lubricate the eyes.

Dr. James :

He should also see an ophthalmologist for evaluation

Dr. James :

A steroid eye drop can be prescribe which should calm the inflammation.

Customer:

will this effect his eye site more in the future or cause a more serious problem in the future

Dr. James :

it can if it grows onto the cornea. if that is the case, surgery can be considered to remove it.

Customer:

he will go see the ophthalmologist and have his current prescription updated and have the problem evaluated will this effect his prescription or no because it is not on the cornea area

Dr. James :

because it is irritated, it would temporarily affect his prescription. his ophthalmologist may want to treated the pingueculitis first then have him return later to update his glasses prescription.

Customer:

thank you for your time and your suggestion you have been very helpful in putting us in the direction we need to go

Dr. James
Dr. James
Dr. James