Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

I am a 47 year old male with astigmatism. I wear glasses. I

have always been nearsighted until...
I am a 47 year old male with astigmatism. I wear glasses. I have always been nearsighted until recently when I noticed my reading vision is not as good as when I was younger. I am considering corrective eye surgery. I have seen my regular eye doctor and completed the test to see if I am a candidate and was given approval. From what I understand from my regular eye doctor there are several different types of corrective eye surgery. Some methods have been around for a lot longer than others. He said that the equipment varies and suggested that I find an experienced physician using the newest equipment and the most up to date software available. I have made several calls to eye surgery centers and this information is not readily available to the general public. Each facility said their equipment and software was the best. How does a general layperson find out which equipment, software and surgeon would be the best choice?
2/3/2012
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

That is an excellent question.

Dr. Rick :

To tell you the truth all the systems do an excellent job for the vast majority of patients.

Dr. Rick :

The best way to find a lasik surgeon is to talk to friends and associates etc for personal referrals. The most important thing about picking a doctor to do your lasik surgery is that you are comfortable with them, that they will take care of you after the surgery and that they have a good reputation with people who are in a position to know about them.

JACUSTOMER-1506vhgt- :

So I don't need to worry about the different types of equipment or software?

Dr. Rick :

you have probably found this information on your own internet searching but here is a web page that reviews the different "types" of lasik out there:

Dr. Rick :

http://wisegeek.com/what-are-the-different-types-of-laser-eye-surgery.htm

Dr. Rick :

No, if you have a normal eye (as you have discussed in your question) then it really -- in the scheme of things -- doesn't matter if the surgeon has the new widget that came out yesterday. Lasik is an excellent procedure that has been stable over the years allowing folks to have excellent vision.....and, just think -- most of those eyes were done with "old" equipement lol!

JACUSTOMER-1506vhgt- :

Okay, any other suggestions?

Dr. Rick :

I don't think so. Have I covered your question for you at this point?

JACUSTOMER-1506vhgt- :

yes, thanks.

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure. Best of luck to you and have a good evening.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Let me know if there is anything else you would like to discuss pertaining to this issue.
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD