Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

can my retinal be fixed?

can my retinal be fixed?

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

It depends upon what is wrong with it.....can you tell me more about what is going on with your retina?

Customer:

my eyes tear a lot and sometime things get fuzzy/blury

Dr. Rick :

do they matter up, especially in the morning?

Customer:

I have a problem reading street signs or just reading

Customer:

I have a sandy eyes in the corner of my eyes

Dr. Rick :

Ok. That sounds like more of a "front of the eye" or anterior segment issue. I'll be happy to discuss that with you but I noticed that your question related to your retina. The symptoms you are talkng about now do not relate to a retina problem. Have you been told you have a problem with your retina? And, if so, do you want to talk about that with me?

Customer:

My eyes act like I am tired. I talked to my eye doctor and kind of ignored me what I was talking about. I called his office talked to his nurse. She said I have retina problem. That doesn't tell me anything.

Dr. Rick :

Hmmm...sounds like the nurse might have just taken a quick glance at your chart or something......let's deal with the symptoms you are having now. I think I can give you some information that you can use to make your eyes feel a bit better. Does this sound like a good plan to you?

Customer:

I will try any. Right now I put drops in my eyes every 2 hrs and Ouctive pill a day

Dr. Rick :

The ocuvite is a vitamin commonly recommended by ophthalmologists for patients who have dry age related macular degeneration....perhaps that is what the nurse was taking about.

Dr. Rick :

This does not relate to the symptoms you have mentioned above. Let's deal with that a bit, shall we?

Dr. Rick :

It sounds like you are suffering from an anterior segment/tear film issue. Many times, as we get older, and especially after eye surgery, the anterior surface of the eye starts to have difficulties. What can cause this? Well, there are a number of conditions but the most common are dry eyes, allergies and blepharitis....many times all three conditions act together to make you miserable. In order to solve your problem you need to address all of these issues at the same time.

Dr. Rick :

When it comes to allergies it is almost impossible to pin down the offending agent(s) and, therefore, treatment needs to focus on controlling the symptoms. Dry eyes are very common and can be improved by a stepwise series of therapies. First, the use of natural tears 4-6+ times/day to augment your natural tear production, if this doesn’t work then you can try temporary punctal occlusion of the lower puncta, then, if needed, temporary occlusion of all 4 puncta then, if indicated, surgical ( non-reversible) closure of the puncta. The openings to your tear drainage system are called puncta and you have one opening on each lid, near your nose.

Blepharitis is a condition where glands in the eyelids are not functioning normally. They become plugged and instead of putting out their normal clear, oily secretions, they put out thick, toothpaste like gunk. You may not be able to see this “gunk” yourself, unless it is really bad, but it shows up clearly on slit lamp examination.

The best treatment for this condition daily lid scrubs combined with warm compresses. I like to use baby shampoo for lid scrubs. In the shower, place the shampoo on your index fingers, close your eyes, raise your eyebrows (to stretch the skin on your eyelids) and scrub back and forth along your eyelashes for 3 to 5 minutes. The hot water in the shower helps to soften the plugged oils in the glands while the mechanical scrubbing with your soapy fingers removes the oils.

Baby shampoo lid scrubs will also help to wash away allergens and stimulate tear production, thereby addressing all three of your issues. Remember, this is not an instant fix. While you are waiting for the lid scrubs to have affect you can use over the counter allergy pills such as Travist, dimetapp or Zyrtec.

Should your symptoms get worse, your vision become significantly affected or things just not get better in 3 weeks or so you should have a complete eye examination by your local ophthalmologist to look for other, less common, causes of your symptoms.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Customer:

One time I had eye plug in my eyes an when I had my caterack he said they were gone

Dr. Rick :

Those can be replaced?

Customer:

do you any solutions for my condition

Customer:

are you there

Dr. Rick :

Yup....sorry....my youngest son called from Kung Fu practice....seems he left something at home......kids.....I should've had puppies instead lol!

Dr. Rick :

I discussed things you can try in the paragraphs above. Did you get that? I really think the lid scrubs etc will make your eyes feel better. The problems reading could also be caused by your possible dry macular degeneration, but any part that is due to the anterior segment issues should improve with the above therapy.

Customer:

doc are you there

Dr. Rick :

Yes. I am here.......

Dr. Rick :

If you are unable to see my posts there may be a problem with the chat system. We can switch to Q&A and continue

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

You didn't seem to be able to view my posts on the chat system. I am here and we can continue our discussion.