Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

I do a lot of sporting clays shooting and my scores have

Customer Question
dropped in the last few...
I do a lot of sporting clays shooting and my scores have dropped in the last few months. I have prism in my glasses. Can this prism be the culprit of my scores? Also does prism effect depth perception?
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Eye
2/3/2012
Eye Doctor: Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD replied 5 years ago
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

And I also do a lot of sporting clays :)

Dr. Rick :

If your scores have dropped since putting prism in your glasses, then it is possible that this is the cause......if you've had the prisms for quite some time and only recently have your scores started to drop then you will have to come up with a better excuse lol!

Dr. Rick :

All kidding aside, it makes sense that the prisms may be causing you difficulty in tracking targets at different angles and altitudes.

Dr. Rick :

It is the nature of glasses that contain prism that in order to get the correct effect you have to maintain your gaze through the optical center. If you were to look off to the side, as you might when acquiring a rapidly moving target (or two) coming from off center positions, you may have brief instances of double vision, blurred vision etc.

Dr. Rick :

This could, of course, make you miss when you otherwise would have hit the target.

Dr. Rick :

Depth perception would be affected in the same way when looking off from the optical center of the glasses.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick :

I see that you are offline. I'll switch over to the Q&A system. This system works a lot like 'text messaging' but an email is sent to each of us anytime something is posted to this thread. We can continue to work on your question there..... :)

Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Let me know if there is anything else you would like to discuss pertaining to this issue.
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD