Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

I had Lazik corection for more than 5 years ago, and I have

Customer Question
always noticed one eye hs...
I had Lazik corection for more than 5 years ago, and I have always noticed one eye hs the upper lid inflamated in the mourning and nights spepecially and slightly during the days. I once consulted a general family doctor about this after the operation but he just tried to convince me it was in my mind. now I am absolutly sure it is related to the procedure.
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Eye
2/2/2012
Eye Doctor: Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD replied 5 years ago
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Of course, the best person to consult about this condition is an ophthalmologist and, if possible, the ophthalmologist who did your lasik surgery.

Dr. Rick :

Just reviewing the steps and procedures for lasik surgery it seems unlikely that some part of the eye surgery over 5 years ago would be the primary cause of intermittent, one sided, upper eyelid inflammation.

Customer:

To be honess I want to find out on myself before reaching the Dr who achived the procedure the most I can to be well informed.

Dr. Rick :

That is a good idea. Can you tell me more about how this inflammation manifests, has it been getting worse over the years, staying the same et?

Dr. Rick :

etc?

Customer:

Yes, I believe it has increased and makes one eye look like not completely open but if you take a closer look u realize that actually it is the lid that is inflamated

Dr. Rick :

Other then cold water in the morning have you tried any other treatments?

Customer:

Allergic eye drops

Customer:

OTC

Dr. Rick :

Ok. Well, allergic eye drops would work well on issues that affect the eyeball itself but not so much the eyelid as you are describing.

Dr. Rick :

I think that there is something else you can try for a few weeks and see if you get any results.

Customer:

If I lay on my back for about 15min when I am back on my feet you would notice the difference in my eyelids

Dr. Rick :

ok. Well, it does sound like you have something going on,unlike what the GP told you in the past.

Dr. Rick :

I suggest you get some 1% hydrocortisone cream and put a small amount on your affected lid 3x/day for the next 14 days. You should noticed a marked decrease in the nightime and morning swelling.

Customer:

Is this sold OTC

Dr. Rick :

If not then it may be more of an anatomical issue rather then an inflammation issue and would be best treated and evaluated by an ophthalmologist.

Dr. Rick :

Yes it is OTC

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Customer:

By "An anatomycal issue" you refer?

Dr. Rick :

Perhaps some weakness or tearing of the muscle that elevates your eyelid

Customer:

Could hat be caused during the procedure as the eyelid is restrained?

Dr. Rick :

That is possible.

Customer:

If that would be the case (just in case) can it be fixed?

Dr. Rick :

Yes. It can be fixed with a fairly routine eyelid surgery.

Customer:

Who does that?

Dr. Rick :

Almost any ophthalmologist (eye MD), oculo-plastic surgeon or even some regular plastic surgeons

Customer:

Good to know!

Dr. Rick :

Well, hopefully the steroid cream will solve your problem and it won't turn out to be a torn muscle.....

Dr. Rick :

There really is nothing to loose by trying the cream for a few weeks.

Customer:

What about if the cream helps but as soon I stop using it the problem contonues

Customer:

Or is it that if it is an anayomycal problem the crea should not solve, right?

Dr. Rick :

That is an excellent question. In that case you would know that your problem is due to inflammation, allergies or something in the environment and you can start a search for what that might be.....not a lot of fun....

Dr. Rick :

That is correct. The cream will have no effect on your lid if the problem is anatomical in nature.

Customer:

Good, will try, thank you!

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure. Good luck to you :)

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Let me know if there is anything else you would like to discuss pertaining to this issue.
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD