Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

I was told yesterday afternoon that my right eye was dark

Customer Question
red. I'd not felt anything...
I was told yesterday afternoon that my right eye was dark red. I'd not felt anything, nor had I experienced anything unusual in that eye, but when I checked in the mirror, sure enough, that eye was deep blood red throughout the "white part." Since then -- it's the next morning now -- the condition hasn't changed, although I do have a bit of watering in that eye. As noted, my vision isn't affected. I'm male, 71 years old, fit -- I was at the gym when I learned of the eye -- and other than a handful of supplements that I've taken for years, I take lisinopril for blood pressure and a baby aspirin each morning.
Should I wait a day or two to see if it begins to resolve -- I'm not uncomfortable -- or should I see a doctor right away? I should add that yesterday morning I was grinding a ceramic tile and although I was wearing my usual glasses (I wear bifocals, have done so for years and have never experienced eye problems) it's possible a shard or chip entered my eye, although I didn't feel anything at the time (and, as noted, didn't even know my eye was red until I was told).
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Eye
2/1/2012
Eye Doctor: Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD replied 5 years ago
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Are you available to chat?

Customer:

yes

Dr. Rick :

Were you doing anything (grinding, cutting, hammering etc) that would have caused something to get in your eye?

Dr. Rick :

I couldn't see what you typed. It may be that the chat system is having problems.....did you see my question?

Customer:

yes, as noted, I did grind a ceramic tile, which made some dust particles. I was wearing my eye glasses, but not goggles at the time, but didn't feel anything at the time.

Dr. Rick :

Ok

Dr. Rick :

It sounds like you have experienced a subconjunctival hemorrhage.

Dr. Rick :

In the vast majority of cases, sub conjunctival hemorrhage is nothing to worry about. It is usually not a sign of any serious condition but rather is just a small broken blood vessel in the conjunctiva that looks much worse than it really is.

No treatment is necessary. Think of a subconjunctival hemorrhage as a bruise. The reason it looks so red (some people say it looks like a piece of raw meat) is that the skin on your eye is very thin so the underlying blood shows through easily. On your arm, for instance, a bruise looks blue/purple because the overlying skin is thick, blocking the red color of the blood.

Like a bruise elsewhere a subconjunctival hemorrhage will slowly go away over the course of a couple of weeks. It may spread around the globe some and change colors as it clears. This is nothing to be concerned about.

Dr. Rick :

There is no need for you to see an eye doctor. This will resolve on it's own

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Customer:

That confirms what I thought, based on Internet browsing. Thanks. If the condition doesn't resolve or worsens, I'll call my doc. Okay?

Dr. Rick :

Like I said it will take some time to resolve. Nothing to worry about though :)

Customer:

Cool. Thanks. I'll punch "Accept" now.

Dr. Rick :

OK. Take care.

Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD