Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

For the past 5 months my eyes have been sore and running

like a tap. I...
For the past 5 months my eyes have been sore and running like a tap. I have been to my Dr twice to no avail. The drops he prescribed did not work. I have been to my Optometrist and had eyes checked and am now the owner to two new pairs of glasses. He also said my eyes were healthy. The hayfever is rip here. I am using Flixonaise nasal spray for this. I today went to a local pharmist and he gave me Chlorafast eye drops. Is there anything you can do to help. I am at my wits end. I have not changed my makeup or face creams.
1/31/2012
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

It sounds like you are suffering from an anterior segment/tear film issue. Many times, as we get older, and especially after eye surgery, the anterior surface of the eye starts to have difficulties. What can cause this? Well, there are a number of conditions but the most common are dry eyes, allergies and blepharitis....many times all three conditions act together to make you miserable. In order to solve your problem you need to address all of these issues at the same time.

I'm not sure why your doctor thought new glasses would help with your symptoms :)

Dr. Rick :

When it comes to allergies it is almost impossible to pin down the offending agent(s) and, therefore, treatment needs to focus on controlling the symptoms. Dry eyes are very common and can be improved by a stepwise series of therapies. First, the use of natural tears 4-6+ times/day to augment your natural tear production, if this doesn’t work then you can try temporary punctal occlusion of the lower puncta, then, if needed, temporary occlusion of all 4 puncta then, if indicated, surgical ( non-reversible) closure of the puncta. The openings to your tear drainage system are called puncta and you have one opening on each lid, near your nose.

Blepharitis is a condition where glands in the eyelids are not functioning normally. They become plugged and instead of putting out their normal clear, oily secretions, they put out thick, toothpaste like gunk. You may not be able to see this “gunk” yourself, unless it is really bad, but it shows up clearly on slit lamp examination.

The best treatment for this condition daily lid scrubs combined with warm compresses. I like to use baby shampoo for lid scrubs. In the shower, place the shampoo on your index fingers, close your eyes, raise your eyebrows (to stretch the skin on your eyelids) and scrub back and forth along your eyelashes for 3 to 5 minutes. The hot water in the shower helps to soften the plugged oils in the glands while the mechanical scrubbing with your soapy fingers removes the oils.

Baby shampoo lid scrubs will also help to wash away allergens and stimulate tear production, thereby addressing all three of your issues. Remember, this is not an instant fix. While you are waiting for the lid scrubs to have affect you can use over the counter allergy pills such as Travist, dimetapp or Zyrtec.

Should your symptoms get worse, your vision become significantly affected or things just not get better in 3 weeks or so you should have a complete eye examination by your local ophthalmologist to look for other, less common, causes of your symptoms.

Dr. Rick :

There is no need at this time to change your makeup or face cream as I'm sure you have been using the same brand for some time now and it is unlikely that they are the cause of your problem.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick :

Oh...Hi. My system shows that you have just entered the chat system. Are you there?

Dr. Rick :

I would hold off on the chlorafast drops as I do not think that your primary problem at this point is a bacterial infection.

Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD