Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

I am a 65-year-old male. I have an eye problem, which began

Hello Doctor, I am a 65-year-old...
Hello Doctor,
I am a 65-year-old male. I have an eye problem, which began three days ago.
Three days ago, I began to experience some redness in my left eye. By yesterday, this redness had worsened and I was experiencing some discomfort in and perhaps around the eye when moving from mild to stronger light. Today my symptoms remain much the same. I am not experiencing any problems with my vision and have found that wearing sunglasses when going outside lessens the discomfort of moving from mild to stronger light. I have used Viagra for the past ten years and on average would take 50mg perhaps twice a month I mention this as I did take 50 mg four or five days ago. I know that you will probably advise me to see a doctor fast but this aside; I would appreciate your opinion on what I have described.
Kind regards
Allan
1/30/2012
Dr. Susan
Dr. Susan, Ophthalmologist
Dr. Susan : Hello- what you are describing could be a couple different things. You could have episcleritis which is inflammation of the white of the eye. It is localized and painful. It is for the most part benign if it occurs just once. If it is recurrent it could be a sign of inflammation in your body. It could also be iritis which is inflammation deeper in the eye and can cause pain and sensitivity to the light. Iritis can be caused by trauma, infection, inflammation elsewhere in the body or just on its own. Both these conditions are treated with a steroid eye drop. I do recommend that you see your eye specialist and start treatment be ause delAying it could cause a protracted course!
Dr. Susan : I hope I have helped you today. If you are satisfied please press the ACCEPT button so that I get credit for my efforts. Any addition feedback is also appreciated!
Customer:

Dear Dr Susan thank you for your reply with regard to Iritis I do have a sister who suffers from this from time to time I mention this just in case there is some hereditary aspect to Iritis.

I must say that I have not previously suffered from any eye problems and mentioned Viagra only because it gets the following comment under Side Effects...“Eye disorders such as bleeding at the back of the eye, bloodshot eyes/red eyes, eye pain, double vision, abnormal sensation in the eye”.

Based on what I have told you do you see this as less likely than the causes that you have outlined.

Dr. Susan :

I would not worry- if you are healthy and do not suffer from diabetes or systemic problems. It could just be a temporary irritation or "bruising". I am not concerned about the Viagra (whether you use it or not)- it does not affect the eyes the way that you have described. If you are trying to avoid seeing the doctor- try these following things for a few days:

Dr. Susan :

1. Discontinue the Visine- as you have noticed it does not work

Dr. Susan :

2. If you have irritation- buy an over the counter antihistamine drop (in the USA we have Alaway and Zaditor) and use 2-3 times per day.

Dr. Susan :

3. If no irritation- take ibuprophen 600mg two times a day for a few days. You can also use artificial tears a few times per day.

Dr. Susan :

If in 2-3 days your eye is not much improved, then please see your eye specialist because it may be iritis or episcleritis and those need stronger prescribed medications!

Dr. Susan :

Best of luck!

Dr. Susan :

please let me know if there is anything else that I can help you with.

Dr. Susan
Dr. Susan, Ophthalmologist

Dear Dr Susan,

Following your advise I saw an eye specialist today and yes you were right I have iritis and have already started a course of steroid eye drops. I think my reluctance to see a doctor was based on my fear that I may have damaged my eye by the use of viagra. Please accept my thanks once again for your spot on advise.

Kind regards

Dear Sir
I am very happy that you sought treatment and are on the adequate treatment! Thank you for letting me know- it makes me feel great to have helped you. I wish you a quick recovery.
Best regards!
Dr. Susan
Dr. Susan, Ophthalmologist
Dr. Susan
Dr. Susan
Dr. Susan, Ophthalmologist