Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I have had problems with blurry vision, dry eyes, stiffness

I have had problems with blurry vision, dry eyes, stiffness in the neck and sensitivity to light especially with things on a white background for a long time (YEARS). Also the feeling of being tired and mental dullness (things not being sharp or clear in my mind) with occasional headaches. It’s now getting worse. I had my glasses prescription changed 4 times in the past year and I still get it. I’ve also had corrective surgery for a squint (about 8 months ago) as that was thought to be the possible cause at one stage though this hasn't relived my symptoms at all. I also had numerous blood tests over the years for diabetes. Which have come up negative. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

I would not expect a problem that is limited to your eyes to cause issues with mental clarity....that really sounds like a central nervous system issue.

Dr. Rick :

That also goes for the problems you are having with your neck....

Customer:

should I see my GP in order to get mri scan?

Dr. Rick :

Now, as far as the issues with blurry vision, especially with things on a white background that can be caused by a number of anterior segment issues, such as dry eyes (which you are already somewhat addressing), allergies and blepharitis.

Dr. Rick :

I wouldn't jump to an MRI until there is a specific issue that needs looking at. Just getting a random MRI without knowing what you are looking for is usually non-productive.

Customer:

what should I do see GP or

Ophthalmologist

Dr. Rick :

That being said, a visit to your GP to workup your symptoms sounds like a good idea. While you wait I would try some home remedies for the possible anterior segment issues.

Dr. Rick :

I'd see your GP first.

Customer:

many thanks

Dr. Rick :

When it comes to allergies it is almost impossible to pin down the offending agent(s) and, therefore, treatment needs to focus on controlling the symptoms. Dry eyes are very common and can be improved by a stepwise series of therapies. First, the use of natural tears 4-6+ times/day to augment your natural tear production, if this doesn’t work then you can try temporary punctal occlusion of the lower puncta, then, if needed, temporary occlusion of all 4 puncta then, if indicated, surgical ( non-reversible) closure of the puncta. The openings to your tear drainage system are called puncta and you have one opening on each lid, near your nose.

Blepharitis is a condition where glands in the eyelids are not functioning normally. They become plugged and instead of putting out their normal clear, oily secretions, they put out thick, toothpaste like gunk. You may not be able to see this “gunk” yourself, unless it is really bad, but it shows up clearly on slit lamp examination.

The best treatment for this condition daily lid scrubs combined with warm compresses. I like to use baby shampoo for lid scrubs. In the shower, place the shampoo on your index fingers, close your eyes, raise your eyebrows (to stretch the skin on your eyelids) and scrub back and forth along your eyelashes for 3 to 5 minutes. The hot water in the shower helps to soften the plugged oils in the glands while the mechanical scrubbing with your soapy fingers removes the oils.

Baby shampoo lid scrubs will also help to wash away allergens and stimulate tear production, thereby addressing all three of your issues. Remember, this is not an instant fix. While you are waiting for the lid scrubs to have affect you can use over the counter allergy pills such as Travist, dimetapp or Zyrtec.

Should your symptoms get worse, your vision become significantly affected or things just not get better in 3 weeks or so you should have a complete eye examination by your local ophthalmologist to look for other, less common, causes of your symptoms.