Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

Child 6 yr suddenly says she can see only "black and or ."

Child 6 yr suddenly says...
Child 6 yr suddenly says she can see only "black and white or gray." Has trouble reading small print-says its blurry. Doctor says everything normal but she is not changing her story, I believe her. Could a fall hitting her head on tile at Christmas cause this?
1/8/2012
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Is she otherwise normal in all respects? Was she knocked out when she fell?

Dr. Rick :

I see that you are currently offline. We can switch to the Q&A system and continue to work on your question there. An email will be sent to each of us anytime something is posted to this thread. See you there :o)

I am still here and available to work on your question. I'm looking forward to your response so we can get to the bottom of the child's issues.
I am not sure about the fall as I was not there--they said she was okay!
She is very healthy
Ok. Thanks for that extra information.
I do not think that the fall has anything to do with her complaints.
Also, there is nothing that I know of that would all of a sudden rob an otherwise healthy little girl of her ability to see in color while leaving all of her other visual functions, with the exception of slight blurriness when looking at small print, intact. In addition, since she had a completely normal eye exam by an pediatric ophthalmologist and has no other physical signs or symptoms I would tend to agree with the other doctors that there is nothing wrong and it is just a childhood thing.
I can, however, understand how you might doubt this diagnosis. In this case I think the next step would be for you to take her to a large University Teaching Hospital where she can be put through a huge battery of tests and multiple examinations by various experts and super-subspecialists.
What do I suggest? Well, if she was my daughter I would just watch her for now instead of putting her the the billion dollar workup, with all the stresses such a workup might cause a young child.
Does this make sense to you?
And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)
I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.
Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.
Are there any other concerns or issues you would like addressed on this topic?
If you have a chance, drop me a note and let me know how things turn out. You can attach it to this thread at no additional charge or to me at the link listed below.

Is there a chance of cerebral achromtopsia?

Have you been reading things on the internet? ;)
From what you have said, she did not hit her head that hard. And, even if she did, the chances of her damaging both side of her brain that run color vision -- without damaging anything else at all so as not to cause any other physical findings, would be impossibly rare.
There is a old saying: "When you hear hoofbeats in Wyoming think Horses not Zebra's"
In other words, common things are common and rare things are rare....
If she does have cerebral achromtopsia the billion dollar workup will find it. I don't don't think that is her problems though....
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Even though my answer was not quite what you were hoping for, please understand that my priority was to provide you with the most honest information. With that in consideration, I hope that you found my answer useful. Please click the green accept button so that I receive credit for my time.
If you have a chance drop me a note and let me know how things turn out.
Have a good day.
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD