Eye

Ask an eye Doctor and get an answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

I have a broken blood vessel in my eye, there is minimal…

I have a broken blood...
I have a broken blood vessel in my eye, there is minimal pain. Is there something I should be doing? I do wear contacts and have taken them out.
1/7/2012
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

How is your vision in the affected eye?

Customer:

vision seems to be the same, there is some discomfort in the area that is affected

Dr. Rick :

Ok. It sounds like you have had a subconjunctival hemorrhage.

Dr. Rick :

In the vast majority of cases, sub conjunctival hemorrhage is nothing to worry about. It is usually not a sign of any serious condition but rather is just a small broken blood vessel in the conjunctiva that looks much worse than it really is.

No treatment is necessary. Think of a subconjunctival hemorrhage as a bruise. The reason it looks so red (some people say it looks like a piece of raw meat) is that the skin on your eye is very thin so the underlying blood shows through easily. On your arm, for instance, a bruise looks blue/purple because the overlying skin is thick, blocking the red color of the blood.

Like a bruise elsewhere a subconjunctival hemorrhage will slowly go away over the course of a couple of weeks. It may spread around the globe some and change colors as it clears. This is nothing to be concerned about.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Customer:

yes, should I continue to leave my contacts out or can I still wear them?

Dr. Rick :

I knew you were going to ask that :)

Customer:

lol

Customer:

i can keep them out for the weekend but would like to put them back in for work on Monday

Customer:

if possible

Dr. Rick :

As long as there is no discomfort when you wear your contact lenses, and there is not a lot swelling that would interfere with the fit, then it is OK to wear your lenses.

Customer:

ok, thank you for your help and reassurance

Dr. Rick :

Remember....the redness will not be gone by Monday so you'll have to come up with a good story about how the "other guy" looks ;)

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure. Have a good weekend.

Customer:

right, i'll put my thinking cap on now so the story is a really good one!!

Customer:

Thanks again!

Dr. Rick :

Also, don't use visine or other "get the red out drops" they won't work on this....

Dr. Rick :

Take care.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Customer:

oh, ok, thanks I did not know that!

Dr. Rick :

:)

Let me know if there is anything else you would like to discuss pertaining to this issue.
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
The redness is moving downwards to the middle part of the eye. Is this normal too? It seems to be getting worse not better.
That is normal...it may move around your eye, change colors etc. This is nothing to worry about.
Ok thank you. Just wanted to be sure
My pleasure :)
Let me know if there is thing else I can do to help :o)
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD