Eye

Ask an eye Doctor and get an answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Four days ago I had surgery for a cataract in my right eye.

After the operation and continuing...
Four days ago I had surgery for a cataract in my right eye. After the operation and continuing today, looking through my right eye is like looking through a glass of dirty water. My eyesight is almost impossible with all the clutter, floaters, etc. I think this is because the material in the eye is just too thick and fouled with thousands of floaters from pin head size to more chunky to some that look like universes in space. I am on eye drops: Prednisolone acetate; Ofloxacine; Ketorloc; pills - Methylprednisolone; and Durezol.
What caused this and how long should I expect this to continue and are these drugs the correct ones to use and are there others that might be better?
I am 75 and in good health. (male)
1/6/2012
Dr. Susan
Dr. Susan, Ophthalmologist
Dr. Susan :

Hello

Dr. Susan :

Are you available to chat?

Dr. Susan :

What did the surgeon say about your surgery? Was there any mention of it being a complicated case?

Dr. Susan :

HOw long were you in the operating room?

Customer:

Yes, I can chat. He thought everything went well. I had one different situation and that was that I have been taking a prostate drug which required him to "hook" the lens rather than just let it unfold.

Customer:

My time in the operating room was probably 15-20 minutes.

Dr. Susan :

Ok- thank you.

Dr. Susan :

And have they said if you will need a follow up with a retina specialist?

Dr. Susan :

So since your surgery required the hooks, and was not the average straight forward case, your recovery may take longer than usual.

Dr. Susan :

There are two reasons why your vision is not great right now- your cornea is most likely swollen. This takes a while to resolve completely. But the drops you are on are perfect!

Customer:

I was checked out yesterday - the practice has a retina specialist in house and he looked at it as well. My retna is not detached.

Dr. Susan :

The second reason why you are having problems could be that a couplesmall fragments of the lens fell into the vitreous, the gel of the eye

Dr. Susan :

Was there any mention of that?

Customer:

I guess I should not be impatient but I have plans to get out of the cold weather to my winter home in Mexico! No, there was no mention of fragments of the lens in the vitreous. I need a gel transplant so I can go south!

Customer:

Do you have any estimate of how long this healing process might take?

Dr. Susan :

Gel transplant?

Customer:

I am kidding.

Dr. Susan :

do you mean a vitrectomy?

Dr. Susan :

sorry- I thought I missed that chapter in training

Customer:

I sometimes make light of things -

Customer:

Will this healing take a lot of days do you think?

Dr. Susan :

Please be patient- your vision will be fine but it WILL take a while. I am sad to say- it may be 3-4 weeks though.

Dr. Susan :

But from what you tell me- your physicians are on top of everything!

Dr. Susan :

This is the unfortunate effect of Flomax and I too have had patient just like you!

Customer:

Thanks so much for your expertise - it is really great to get confirmation of what is going on. I will sign off now and you have been wonderful. You get my highest score!!!

Dr. Susan :

Thank you!! I wish you a quick recovery!! Enjoy Mexico when you get there!!

Dr. Susan
Dr. Susan, Ophthalmologist