How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. A.S. Desai Your Own Question
Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Category: Eye
Satisfied Customers: 2437
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince
Type Your Eye Question Here...
Dr. A.S. Desai is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have had blurry vision in my left eye for several weeks. I

This answer was rated:

I have had blurry vision in my left eye for several weeks. I notice now when I shut my right eye and look only through the left eye, the line of vision is not straight. In other words, when I am reading, the line I am reading has a "hump" in it and it follows as my eye moves. I have had a small area of my retina that was detached and had laser procedure to correct it. Have not had any further problems until recently. I do have floaters in both eyes. I am in Florida for the winter and not sure if I need to go home to my eye there. Thanks.

Welcome to Just Answer

Since the blurred vision ( hump) is seen exactly where you focus upon and not elsewhere, it looks like the central part of the reina called macula might have been involved. The exact nature of involvement could vary from age related macular degeneration(ARMD), macular edema( especially in those with diabetes), central serous retinopathy(CSR) and so on. In order to diagnose the exact cause a dilated eye exam needs to be done by an Ophthalmologist. Additional eye investigations might be needed for confirmation( fundus fluorescein angiography).

Though you have had a past history of retinal detachment with laser treatment, I would not hold that as a likely cause for your present symptoms. As for the floaters, it could have occured as a result of posterior vitreous detachment( an age related change in which the thick gel at the back of the eye called vitreous gets detached from its surrounding retina and clumps in the middle causing symptom of floaters). I guess it is better to get your eye examined by an ophthalmologist for further diagnosis and start of treatment.

Thank you and best wishes.

If you are satisfied with the answer , please press the accept button so that I get my dues.

A bonus and/or positive feedback are welcome.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Category: Eye
Satisfied Customers: 2437
Experience: MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince
Dr. A.S. Desai and other Eye Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Is this something that I should have looked at right away, or can I wait until I go back North in April?


Thank you for the accept.

Though not an emergency, waiting till april would be a bit too long as some of these conditions show improvement with early onset of treatment. For better visual prognosis it is better to get examined earlier to that.

Your description suggests a disturbance of the macula.

I concur with Dr Desai's opinion.

You need an examination of the retina.

Such examinations will be readily available in Florida, and indeed in most developed economies