Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

One week ago I had eye trauma. At the time of injury my eye

Customer Question

One week ago I had blunt eye trauma. At the time of injury my eye was bleeding a little and I could not see. I went to the emergency room where my vision came back very little. The doctors there prescribed antibacterial only and told me to come back after a week. I was told that i have some scratching on the retina and shearing of the cornea. I went to an optometrist this 3 days ago and he advised that I also take anti-inflamatory eye drops ( which I have been doing every hour). Optometrist also told me that my pupil is still dialated and has not been constricting.
Since the injury my vision has been improving little by little but pupil is still dialated and i am worried about that. its been one week today although i am having improvement in my vision, but i am not sure what to expect at the end of the ordeal, will my pupil contract will my eye every recover completely? Please help
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 5 years ago.
Doctor DanB : Hello and thanks for your question. Are you available to chat?
Customer:

yes

Customer:

are u there

Doctor DanB :

Yes, I'm here. Sorry, the chat feature is a little buggy and I couldn't see your responses until now.

Doctor DanB :

What you have experienced (with respect to the pupil) is called a traumatic mydriasis. You have sustained damage to the muscles that cause the pupil to react normally. I wish I could tell you that this absolutely will return to normal. For some people it does, but for just as many, it doesn't return to a normal shape.

Doctor DanB :

Does that make sense?

Customer:

yes

Doctor DanB :

Do you have any other concerns about this topic that I haven't addressed?

Customer:

As for as he vision is concerned what do you think, will i be able to see better ( return to normal or something else) and if the pupil stay dialated how would that effect my eyes

Doctor DanB :

If this vision changes are entirely due to bleeding, I would expect the vision to return to normal, but given that the retina is involved (not entirely sure what is meant by 'scratching' of the retina, this may have been a bruise as well) it's difficult to say if it will return to normal. Most bruises of the retina, however, do resolve with a return to normal vision. If the pupil stays dilated, it would cause that eye to be more sensitive to light.

Customer:

are there any surgical or other procedures that I should consider. The doctor said that i hd a lot of blood in my eye which is resolving and due to that my vision is coming back. he said that retina injury will heal with a scar, he mentioned no retina tearing and they also mentioned that I am developing a cataract in the lense.

Doctor DanB :

If there is a cataract and that begins to hamper the vision, then surgery can be done for this to remove it and replace it with an artificial lens implant. The retina is a different issue, though. There isn't any surgery that can be done to repair the trauma to the retina, unless there is a detachment or hole in it. If that is the case, surgery can be done to repair a detachment or hole, but it sounds like they expect just scarring to result from this. If the scar is in the crucial center part of the retina (called the macula) it could affect the overall vision, ultimately. But if not, then it is likely of little consequence.

Customer:

So, basically there is nothing that a doctor can do right now until the trauma heals itself and then another assessment will be done. I am concerned that if there is anything that can be done right now so that end result of the trauma is more predictable?

Customer:

are u there doc

Doctor DanB : I'm here. Sorry. I had to step away from my desk for a few minutes.
Customer:

ok

Doctor DanB :

I think your assessment is correct. The trauma just needs some time to heal itself and once that happens, another assessment can be done to determine if anything else is significantly affecting the vision. In the meantime, I would just recommend to take it easy, avoiding significant straining and eye rubbing; other than that, I think the body just has to work its magic.

Doctor DanB :

Does that make sense?

Customer:

how long do you think the blood clears from the eye. I am seeing but everything is fuzzy and objects at distance are not recoganizable.

Customer:

I also went to the doctor yesterday and when i came back i felt like i was seeing less than that morning. I am thinking it could be because of the drops that they put it, should that be cause of concern

Doctor DanB :

It depends on the extent of the blood, unfortunately. If it was a lot, it can take a few weeks to disappear. If it was mild, I would expect it to resolve within a few days. However, if you take medicines like aspirin, ibuprofen, motrin, or coumadin that could make it a longer haul. Yes, I think it is likely because of the drops you received that your vision is slightly worse after the doctor's visit.

Doctor DanB :

Do you have any other questions about this that we haven't discussed?

Customer:

can u add anything to my situation from your experience

Doctor DanB :

Most people that I treat with blood in their eyes do very well and ultimately don't have significant visual problems henceforth, but knowing that a cataract is forming and that there was significant trauma to the retina as well, I would say to be prepared for a lifetime of dealing with possible problems from this eye. I would hope that wouldn't be the case, but it is certainly a possibility.

Customer:

ok thank you docor

Doctor DanB :

You're welcome.

Please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter; this allows part of the funds that you have deposited to the website to be released for my efforts to assist you. This does not end our conversation, however-we can continue to discuss any of your concerns without further charges until you are satisfied.

Any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. There will be an opportunity to provide either or both of these after you press the ACCEPT button. Thanks for your inquiry!

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor.

Customer:

i am due to see my optometrist next tuesday and my retina specialist in two weeks. Can I ask you questions about my progress? And can you point out some key questions to ask the doctor and should i get an opthomologis also?

Doctor DanB :

Your retina specialist is an ophthalmologist, but I think it would be best to be dealing with a comprehensive ophthalmologist as your point man, rather than an optometrist. I would ask whether the scarring in the retina will affect the vision or not. I think that is the only question that I think needs answering that can be answered at this point. And y es, you can come back and ask questions about progress.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hello Dr.I am doing much better than before, and thank you for your input on my condition. I wanted to update you on my situation, I went to my ophthalmologist and he said that scaring is away from the macula on my retina and I still have uveitis and advised me to take anti-inflammatory drops. I can see things now but everything is blurry and I feel as if not enough light is going into my eye as well. Everything is much brighter and clearer though my normal eye. Please advise why I could be seeing blurry? and is there a chance for it to get better?
You are seeing Blurry because of the inflammation n the eye, kind of the way it's harder to see in the rain or a snowfall, also likely because some swelling in the retina. Bu with most uveitis cases, once the inflammation subsides the vision usually returns to baseline.