Eye

Ask an eye Doctor and get an answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

KGood Mornin, I woke up about 4 days ago with what looks a…

kGood Mornin, I woke up about...
kGood Mornin,
I woke up about 4 days ago with what looks a growth in my right eye. It is swollen and this "mass" is movable. I went to the urgent care, and he did that iyellow eye test to check for scratches thinking that maybe I scratched it overnight in my sleep. Well, there were NO scratches. I had a urinary "strep" infection that we had tried to knock out with antibioticis about 2 weeks before, so I asked him if it was possibble to do another urine test to check to make sure it was gone. We did, and sure enough, it was still there. So we started off on another course of antibiotics again. But, I am taking the antibiotics, and applying the salve, and the glob in my eye is still there just as bad as before. It really only hurts when I shut my eye and doesn't seem to affect my eyesight at all. But, now, when I apply that sallve into my eye, it stings like crazy. I would appreciate any help that you might offer. My Doctor admitted that he was baffled, and so am I. When I touched it, it was almost "hard" in consistancy. Wierd! It's in the inside corner of my eye, and then again near the other corner as well.
1/5/2012
Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist

Welcome to Just Answer

Growth on the white part of the eye, between the colored part and the inside and outside corners of the eye, can occur from either a pterygium or pinguecula. apinguecula is a kind of accumalation of fat in the white part of the eye( conjunctiva). Sometimes its adjoining conjunctiva might get inflammed and cause redness around it and some amount of pain or discomfort. It responds well to anti-inflammatory eye drops such as fluoromethalone, 1 drop 4 times a day. Being a prescription medicine, you would need to consult an ophthalmologist for confirmation of diagnosis and treatment.

Pterygium is a slow growing conjunctival degeneration, occuring due to exposure to UV radition of the sunlight, from long hours hours spent outdoors . Even this can get inflammed and cause growth with localised redness.

But what is different here is that you have noticed the growth only 4 days back ( both these conditions are chronic and are usually seen over weeks or months). I would suggest that you get your eyes examined by an Ophthalmologist for a closer look on the slit lamp( special equipment in the ophthalmologist's office). Once done it would be easier to make a correct diagnosis and start specific treatment.

Other conditions with similar growth are conjunctival cyst, nodular episcleritis . But I guess without a slit lamp examination it would be very difficult to make a correct diagnosis.

Continue the erythromycin ointment only if it is an eye ointment. Otherwise just use lubricating eye drops such as refresh tears , 1 drops 4 times a day, till you get your eye examined .

Thank you and best wishes.

If you are satisfied with the answer , please press the accept button so that I get my dues.

A bonus and/or positive feedback are welcome.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist
Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist