Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

My neurologist suggests I have optic ischemia. it is

My neurologist suggests I have optic ischemia. it is manifest by L Visual field cut in middle of visual field with R eye close. My AIC is 8.7 I have read adrenocorticosteriods help is given early. I recieved a consult with neuopthamologist in about 6 weeks. there is contorversy as to start steroids. what is factor to detemine if I should start and what is best management strategy.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 5 years ago.
Doctor DanB : Hello and thanks for your question. Are you available to chat?
Doctor DanB : The only diagnosis that causes optic nerve ischemia that has been proven to be amenable to steroid treatment is Giant Cell Arteritis, also called temporal Arteritis. This is an uncommon, but potentially devastating disease that can not only cause blindness, but strokes, and potentially death. If this is a diagnosis that any of your doctors were entertaining, they would've put you on steroids immediately and a biopsy of the temporal artery would've been followed closely behind this. Otherwise, I would not expect steroids to help a diagnosis of optic nerve ischemia.
Doctor DanB : Does this information help address your concerns? Does this make sense? Do you have any other concerns about this that we haven't addressed? It appears you are momentarily out of the chat room. I am happy to be able to help you today. I will also be happy to answer any other questions until you have the information you need; please just respond with any further needs and I will address them then.If not, Please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter; this allows part of the funds that you have deposited to the website to be released for my efforts to assist you. This does not end our conversation, however-we can continue to discuss any of your concerns without further charges until you are satisfied.Any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. Thanks for your inquiry!My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor.