Dr. Susan
Dr. Susan, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified & Fellowship trained eye surgeon.
60442262

How can I get an? erythromycin eye oinyment by Fouge

Customer Question

How can I get an? erythromycin eye oinyment by Fouge fwithout prescription for my blepharitis?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Susan replied 5 years ago.
Dr. Susan : Erythromycin is by prescription only. But it also is not the most effective medication for blepharitis either.
Dr. Susan : If you don't have access to a physician whom can write you a prescription, I recommend an over the counter wash called sterilid.
Dr. Susan : It is actually more effective than erythromycin ointment when used twice a day with warm compresses!
Dr. Susan : I see you are now available
Dr. Susan : How bad is your blepharitis?
Customer:

It isn't so bad, the eye lids get kind of swollen and dry feeling like an allergy to lotion or face cream, more around the evening.

Dr. Susan : I think Sterilid should suffice followed by a hypoallergenic eye cream. If you are using erythromycin ointment for its lubricating benefits just get (petroleum jelly safe for eyes) over the counter and use it nightly!
Customer:

can I get the hypoallergenic eye cream over the counter? The erythromycin ointment helped the swelling of eyelid go down. I just used so so little only two days or less. Probly castor oil would work same or better than petroleum jelly, and I'm not allergic to it.

Expert:  Dr. Susan replied 5 years ago.
Sure- try it but castor oil if it gets into the eye itself can make you very blurry! Lots if good hypoallergenic eye creams are also available- just check your pharmacy! You can also have your primary care doctor write you the prescription if it works that well for you! Good luck!