Dr. Susan
Dr. Susan, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified & Fellowship trained eye surgeon.
60442262

On 11/3/11, I was diagnosed with PVD in my right eye. During

On 11/3/11, I was diagnosed with PVD in my right eye. During a follow-up exam on 12/8/11, my retinologist noted that my retina was torn and performed laser surgery to repair it. My follow-up exam on 12/22/11, noted that it is healing well. However, and I explained this to my doctor, I still have lots of floaters and sometimes see what appears to be a circular wheel or black and white whorl in the bottom right part of this eye. What is this and should I be concerned? Thank you.
Dr. Susan :

I can help you with your question. Are you available to chat?

Customer:

Yes.

Dr. Susan :

So you are noting a circle floater occasionally?

Customer:

No, no. It is a circle of black and white always in the lower right corner and sometimes see floaters that appear to look like dirt throughout my eye as well. It should be noted that I am extremely nearsighted with astigmatism.

Dr. Susan :

Well this is all related to the posterior vitreous detachment. You may have bled a bit from where the vitreous tugged at your retinal and the ophthalmologist had to laser.

Dr. Susan :

Sometimes patient can see the red pigment and it looks like dirt.

Dr. Susan :

Is this something new or have you had it since the laser treatment?

Customer:

They both appeared about three days before my last appointment. I mentioned them to him, but he stated all was healing well. I am just concerned because it is more than two weeks later and I still see them.

Dr. Susan :

Ok- well unfortunately you may continue to see it for a while. The good news is with TIME they will decrease in number and eventually your brain will learn to block it out. However, you must be aware, that sometimes there is a risk of re-detachment or a new tear. The signs to look out for are a sudden indrease in in the number of floater, a sudden shower of floater or a veil over your vision. These should promt you to call you doctor immediately.

Customer:

Thank you. One more question, if you don't mind, please. My vision is slightly blurry since the surgery. Will it return to at least semi-normal? I was practically "blind" (i.e., super poor vision) as it was.

Customer:

In just that one eye, I mean.

Dr. Susan :

you were blind in that eye without glasses you mean?

Dr. Susan :

Did you correct to good vision prior to this incident?

Customer:

No, no. It is poor vision, but corrected with glasses to very good. But, now things are slightly blurry and corrected only by the use of both uses as my left eye compensates.

Customer:

both eyes, sorry.

Dr. Susan :

Yes- I suspect that you still have some blood in your vitreous (which is the reason you are seeing these floaters). It will take 2-3 months for the blood to clear and your vision should return to what it was prior to the incident. Just make sure to follow up as recommended with your physician so that he/she can monitor your for new changes.

Dr. Susan :

Rest assured- it seems that you are in good hands!

Customer:

Thank you very much.