Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

What causes flashing in the eye? My right eye seems to flash

Customer Question
What causes flashing in the...
What causes flashing in the eye? My right eye seems to flash intermittantly - like a black ball flashing? Difficult to explain but hope you might know what this sympton is.
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Eye
1/3/2012
Eye Doctor: Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist replied 5 years ago
Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist

Welcome to Just Answer

Apart from flashes of light in the right eye, are you experiencing any other symptoms such as floaters or reduced vision or foggy vision( as if looking through a veil or curtain) in that eye?

Is there any known history of migraine?

Any history of diabetes?

Do you wear glasses for distance or near vision?
No other symptons. No history of migrane and diabetes. I wear day/night contact lenses for distance vision. I tried removing them but symptoms not changed.

Thank you for the reply and additional information.

It is most likely to be due to posterior vitreous detachment ( PVD ).In this condition the thick gel at the back of the eye( called vitreous) gets detached from its surrounding retina . This results in retinal traction which results in the symptom of flashes of light and includes color distortion.Flashes of light may not be prominent in some individuals. Once the vitreous gets detached completely , it may form clumps or strands and cause symptom of floaters such as dark spots, cobweb or thread like strands in the visual field.

More often it is not a serious issue and does not require any specific treatment. A routine retina examination needs to be done by an ophthalmologist just to check for the intactness of the retina and to look for any peripheral retinal tears or holes, which if found, can be sealed by lasers.

The only concern is that of a remote possibility of a retinal tear extending into a frank retinal detachment, which is characterised by symptoms of sudden increase of flashes or floaters and a curtain or veil falling in the field of vision. This requires urgent treatment by a retinal specialist.This is not a common feature and is more predisposed in myopic and diabetic individuals.You do not seem to be having any of these acute symptoms, so as of now a routine eye exam should suffice.

PVD can occur suddenly at anytime and is a diagnosis of exclusion and does not show any signs as such on eye examination. What you would need at this stage is a routine eye exam ( not an emergency) to look at the back of the eye. If PVD is confirmed then there is nothing much to be done.

Thank you and best wishes.

If you are satisfied with the answer , please press the accept button so that I get my dues.

A bonus and/or positive feedback are welcome.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist
Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist