Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

The edge of the iris is losing it's color - that is to say

... that it's turning grey...
the edge of the iris is losing it's color - that is to say ... that it's turning grey. My hair color has very little grey. Why is the very edge of the iris turning grey?
12/25/2011
Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Doctor DanB :

Hello and thanks for your question. Are you available to chat?

Doctor DanB :

For the most part, what someone told you is fairly correct. In actuality, the cornea (or the front, windshield part to the eye), is what is accumulating this greyness in the periphery or edge of it. This is called arcus senilis. It results from the accumulation of lipid and cholesterol in the cornea over many years and therefore is often seen in someone who is over 60 years old. This is usually nothing to worry about unless you see it in one eye and not at all in the other (pretty uncommon).

Doctor DanB :

Does this information help address your concerns? Does this make sense?

Customer:

would you suggest that I have my eyes checked ? I got new glasses last year ... and was told I have very small

Customer:

beginnings of cataracts.

Doctor DanB :

I would be willing to bet that this was there at the time of your last exam. However, at your age and with a diagnosis of cataracts, I think it is best that you get examined once a year anyway.

Customer:

I do. However- the grey has been showing up for the last 5 years ( evenly ) ....... and no one said anything about

Customer:

cataracts until 6 months ago.

Customer:

I am the only one of many friends who have noticed this ..... ( I am an artist - so I'm generally more observant.

Doctor DanB :

They are actually unrelated phenomenons. The arcus senilis is so very very common that most eye doctors aren't going to say much about it unless there is something abnormal about it. And you're right...most people aren't observant enough to notice this. Cataracts, however, can start to grow significantly all of the sudden sometimes, but at your age, I would expect at least some level of cataracts to be present.

Doctor DanB :

Do you have any other concerns about this topic that I haven't addressed?

Customer:

It hasn't affected my vision ... except for glare, at night. If I wear slightly tinted lenses, I don't see a glare.

Doctor DanB :

Then if that's the case, then you are likely just fine to wait on doing anything about the cataracts for now. The only reason to have surgery is if they affect your ability to do the things you want or need to do on a daily basis.

Customer:

Also- how long do I have to wait until I have the cataracts taken care of? 16 months ago I smashed a hip, collected

Customer:

blood clots and was on coumadin for a year ........ I don't take it, now. Is there a conflict?

Doctor DanB :

No, there is no conflict in somone taking coumadin who needs cataract surgery. You don't even need to stop it to have cataract surgery. At the point that your visual symptoms (glare, difficulty seeing small thing up close and far away, and needing more light to see what you're reading) become bothersome that's when you should consider getting your cataracts out, however soon or far way that may end up being.

Customer:

I've had several different opions ( friends mostly ) who say I need to be in really bad shape beforehand. Is this true?

Customer:

I am very nearsighted ..... and only recently unable to read VERY SMALL print, in a low light.

Doctor DanB :

When that starts to bother you, then it is time to consider getting cataract surgery. If it's only something you've just noticed, then I think you're okay to continue observing things.

Customer:

Close to 70 ... and it's just beginning. I think I'm ok for awhile.

Doctor DanB :

I agree. Do you have any other concerns about this topic that I haven't addressed?

Customer:

No, thank you. I will see a doctor, soon .... and get more information - because I'd like to continue driving. You've

Doctor DanB :

You're welcome.

Please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter; this allows part of the funds that you have deposited to the website to be released for my efforts to assist you. This does not end our conversation, however—we can continue to discuss any of your concerns regarding this topic without further charges until you are satisfied.

Any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. Thanks for trusting me to help you with your concerns!

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor.

Customer:

been most helpful...... and I appreciate the time. Merry Happy. I'll just relax and not worry about it. I guess hair dye

Customer:

will restore the richness of the haircolor..... and I wear glasses, anyway - so I'm really the only one who notices the

Customer:

grey ring around the iris .... or sees light glare, at night.

Customer:

Thank you, again.

Doctor DanB :

You're welcome. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Dr. Dan B.
What about the PS ?
I asked about vitamins that would be helpful in restoring the dark brown eyes?
Unfortunately, there aren't any vitamin supplements or diets that will change this. :(
Thanks - but I think I'll do some research on that ....... you've been very kind.
Please do. My pleasure. Good luck to you.
I paid for my question and PS and gave a tip. It is my understanding that I still have 30 days for questions
for that payment.

yes that is correct.

Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B.