Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

I have several small bumps inside my lower eyelid that feel

Customer Question
like I have something in...
I have several small bumps inside my lower eyelid that feel like I have something in my eye. When my contacts are in I am fine. But as soon as my contacts are out and the glasses go on the irritation starts. Th bumps are smaller than the head of a pin and an ENT guy gave me antibiotic steroid drops that do nothing so far. This is so aggravating. Any better ideas. He even numbed my eye, poked at one bump and said it would have to stay. Help???
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Eye
12/22/2011
Eye Doctor: Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist replied 6 years ago
Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Doctor DanB : Hello and thanks for your question. Are you available to chat?
Customer: I'm here.
Doctor DanB :

Do your eyes itch? How many hours/day do you wear your contacts? How many nights/week do you sleep in them?

Customer: I'm here.
Doctor DanB :

Customer: I'm here.
Doctor DanB :

Are you seeing my questions?

I switched to this Q&A format because I believe we're not seeing each other's answers on the chat system. We can communicate through this system, each being alerted by email of the other one's answers like text messaging.

Do your eyes itch? How many hours/day do you wear your contacts? How many
nights/week do you sleep in them?

No I wasn't seeing you answer.
No I wasn't seeing you answer. I never sleep in my contacts and some times they do itch but not all the time.
If your eyes are itching then you very well may have an allergic response. If That is the case then steroids are not going to be a significant help to you. I would recommend getting an allergy drop over the counter called Zaditor. Alaway is also a drop to try. I would suggest using that for a couple of weeks while not having your contact lenses in to see if they can help. Does that make sense?
but it is so irritating when my contacts are out. Would the bumps be from irritation from the contacts ? And can I not use the drops with my contacts? The dr.. also told me to use warm compresses. Why would that be?
The other possible thing this could be is a problem caused papillary conjunctivitis, which is where the inside of the eyelid becomes irritated and inflamed from the contact lenses, producing these characteristic bumps. In this case steroids are important in helping this resolve, but the most important part of treating this is to keep the offending agent away from the eyes--the contact lenses. Even doing both of these things it can take a few weeks for these bumps to go away. In the meantime, the judicious use of artificial years and lubricating ointment can help with the irritation of the eyes.
The doctor telling you to use warm compresses may be because they believed these bumps were styes, but it doesn't sound like that's the case.
Having my contacts in feels better as these tiny bumps don't touch the iris? of my eye. With my glasses in now and looking down at my iPad is feels like I have a lash down in my eye. So the comfort level is better with the contacts in. Heavy sigh...this is just a strange problem.
you are exactly right, the contacts cover the cornea and keep it from contacting those little bumps. While they can be conveniently helping your symptoms it may be that they are part of and exacerbating the problem. I would suggest seeing an ophthalmologist who can verify this diagnosis and provide the necessary prescription. While it seems like a strange diagnosis, it unfortunately is something that I see as an ophthalmologist.
Do you have any other questions about this?
I meant to say the contacts seem to protect my cornea from the bumps.
No I guess that's it. Thanks for your help. So I have to have my contacts out to use thr OTC allergy drops??
No, you don't have to take the contacts out to use the OTC allergy drops, but if that doesn't help and you end up needing treatment for papillary conjunctivitis, then the contacts would need to come out as part of that treatment.
Please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter; this allows part of the funds that you have deposited to the website to be released for my efforts to assist you. This does not end our conversation, however-we can continue to discuss any of your concerns without further charges until you are satisfied.
Any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. Thanks for your inquiry!
My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor.
Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B.