Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I am experencing flasses of light in my right eye when ever

I am experencing flasses of light in my right eye when ever mofe my eyes from side to side or up and down I also notice a small area of dimmed vision below and to the right of my point of vision
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Are you available to chat?

Customer:

yes

Dr. Rick :

Have you noticed any spots floating around in your visual field?

Customer:

yes but I have had some as long as I recall in both eyes

Customer:

but they are worsr in the eye witgh flashes if light

Dr. Rick :

You are likely experiencing a PVD or posterior vitreous detachment, a common event that happens in many people.

You have a thick gel material in the middle of your eyes called the vitreous. Over time as it liquefies, this gel material collapses on itself, forms little clumps that you can see as dots, lines or bugs. As these clumps form the vitreous pulls away from the wall of the eye. In the process it can stimulate the retina -- causing the flashes that you may see.

It is recommended that you see your ophthalmologist to look at the retina to make sure there are no problems such as a retinal hole or tear. In most cases, there are no problems, but this exam is precautionary and allows for preventative treatment of any lesions that are found.

If you notice a sudden increase in floaters, flashes of light (like a lightning storm), or a shadow/veil in the periphery of your vision, this can be worrisome for a retinal detachment. You would need to contact your ophthalmologist promptly in that case.

Dr. Rick :

In your case, however, I am concerned about the area of dimmed vision in the center of your visual field. I think it would be best for you to be evaluated by an ophthalmologist today if possible.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Customer:

yes I'll visit my local optomitrist and try to get a referal

Dr. Rick :

That is a good idea, however in my opinion, the optometrist will not be able to help you with this problem and, as such, an examination by her would only serve to delay things.

Dr. Rick :

I wish you the best of luck.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Customer:

thanks