Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

I have a puffy spot over both tear glands. It started on one

eye, and now it is...
I have a puffy spot over both tear glands. It started on one eye, and now it is on both. If you look at a diagram of an eye, it;s the the same place as the tear gland on both eyes. It looks like patches of water under the skin in those locations. I can push on the spots and the skin will be flabby, they the spots get small, then in a couple minutes, they seem to fill back up and are a lot lighter than the rest of the eyelids so it is very noticeable.  My eyes are not dry, or red, and they tear naturally I would guess...
12/16/2011
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

It sounds like your eyelid puncta are swollen. The most common cause of this issue is allergies and blepharitis.

Dr. Rick :

Are you available to chat?

Dr. Rick :

I guess you have stepped away from your computer.

Dr. Rick :

When it comes to allergies it is almost impossible to pin down the offending agent(s) and, therefore, treatment needs to focus on controlling the symptoms.

Dr. Rick :

Blepharitis is a condition where glands in the eyelids are not functioning normally. They become plugged and instead of putting out their normal clear, oily secretions, they put out thick, toothpaste like gunk. You may not be able to see this “gunk” yourself, unless it is really bad, but it shows up clearly on slit lamp examination.

The best treatment for this condition is daily lid scrubs combined with warm compresses. I like to use baby shampoo for lid scrubs. In the shower, place the shampoo on your index fingers, close your eyes, raise your eyebrows (to stretch the skin on your eyelids) and scrub back and forth along your eyelashes for 3 to 5 minutes. The hot water in the shower helps to soften the plugged oils in the glands while the mechanical scrubbing with your soapy fingers removes the oils.

Baby shampoo lid scrubs will also help to wash away allergens and also stimulate tear production. Remember, this is not an instant fix. While you are waiting for the lid scrubs to have affect you can use over the counter allergy pills such as Travist, dimetapp or Zyrtec.

Should your symptoms get worse, your vision become significantly affected or things just not get better in 3 weeks or so you should have a complete eye examination by your local ophthalmologist to look for other, less common, causes of your symptoms.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the Accept button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Let me know if there are there any other concerns or issues you would like to discuss on this topic.

I have had this for years, it is just now started on the other eye, and if I can get rid of it I would like that. Again, my eyes do water, and it's not thick, it is always clear salty.

How woudl washing the outside of my lid fix something that seems to be in the lid over the tear glands? Just asking.

I also have no eye lashes. not sure why, but it could be related. Again, it is not something just came up, I have had it for years, it is just bothering me now since the other eye seems to be doing it now also.

Washing the eyelids as I describe works because that is where the tear glands are located. Your eyes water because they are irritated. This irritation causes the body to try and "flush" out the irritation, hence the watering..
Long standing eyelid inflammation can cause loss of lashes as can various, more serious, issues. I would suggest you have a complete exam by an ophthalmologist to better evaluate your long standing issue with loss of lashes.
I am happy to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter. I would also be happy to continue to answer any more questions you have until we have resolved your concern.
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
My eyes do not water all the time. I was telling you that they water at times, so i don't think I have blocked tear ducts. I have been to an optomologist, they have never seen this before. The told me to ask my doctor, and my doctor said it is colesterol or my diabetes. But they are still there. Please contact me about this if you will, my email address is *****@******.*** and I'll go ahead and accept the answer.. I do need help figuring out what this is and get rid of it.
I do not believe it is due to your cholesterol or diabetes. Even though your eyes do not water all the time I really think that the issues I discussed are at work in your case.
Try the home therapy I suggested for a few weeks....I bet you will see an improvement.
Your email address was blocked by the system but we can communicate here.
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD