Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

whatis retina distrophy?

whatis retina distrophy?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

There are a large number of conditions that can be called Retinal Dystrophies. Many of them run in families. The diagnosis and treatment of these diseases is best done by a ophthalmologist who sub-specializes in diseases of the retina.....this is what I do :)

Dr. Rick :

Was your condition discovered by an ophthalmologist or an optometrist? What kind of symptoms are you experiencing? If you can tell me a little bit more about what is going on in your case I will be happy to try and give you some specific information about retinal dystrophies that would be considered in the differential diagnosis for you.

Dr. Rick :

Here is an excellent article on retinal dystrophies in general:

Dr. Rick :

http://www.patient.co.uk/doctor/Hereditary-Retinal-Dystrophies.htm

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick :

I see that you are offline. We can use the Q&A system to 'text message' each other. An email will be sent to each of us every time something is posted to this thread.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
Let me know if there are there any other concerns or issues you would like to discuss on this topic. I am still available to would like to discuss this topic in more detail. Let me know.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
problem was discovered by opthmalogist and have been referred to a retina specialist. appt. 12/30. Symptoms are vision is blurry and out of focus. The perphi. vision is fine. I am just trying to inform myself and know what to possibly expect. I am supposed to have knee replacement 1/2/2011.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
I do not think that this will interfere with your planned knee surgery unless there is some type of active process that needs to be treated right away.

As you can see from the article there are many things that can be called "retinal dystrophy". The good news is that you were seen by an ophthalmologist when it was discovered and will shortly be evaluated by an expert in these types of conditions.

Once you see the retina specialist I would be happy to review her findings and help you to learn more about what is going on at no additional charge. Let me know what I can do to help you.