Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

I splashed hair dye in my right eye 2 hrs,. ago. I flushed

Customer Question
it with a ton of...
I splashed hair dye in my right eye 2 hrs,. ago. I flushed it with a ton of water, but it's still red and burns. I don't think my vision was affected, my eye is still watering. Do I need to go to the ER? I don't want to.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Eye
12/9/2011
Eye Doctor: Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD replied 6 years ago
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

You have already done the most important thing: Flushing your eye out with a large amount of clean water.

Dr. Rick :

Just to make sure I understand: It was hair color, not hair bleach, you got in your eye, correct?

Customer:

correct

Dr. Rick :

Good. OK. You should be OK. This will cause a chemical conjunctivitis but, since your are not in extreme pain and your vision seems OK, I don't think that it has caused a corneal abrasion (chemically removing the skin from the front part of your eye)

Dr. Rick :

I would suggest you use preservative free artificial tears every 2 or 3 hours, or more if you would like, to soothe your eye. There are many brand names of these drops, but they are all about the same so use the least expensive ones. Also use cold compress to help with any swellling.

Dr. Rick :

By tomorrow you should be back to normal.

Dr. Rick :

I see that you have gone offline for some reason.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Let me know if there are there any other concerns or issues you would like to discuss on this topic.
Hi. I see you are back online. Is there anything else you would like to ask me or anything you would like to discuss in more detail? I am still here and available to help you.
I see you have reviewed all of my posts. How is your eye doing today? I hope everything is ok.
It was a pleasure to help you with your question. I'm glad that after talking to me you didn't need to visit the ER :)
If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter. I would also be happy to continue to answer any more questions you have until we have resolved your concern. Have a good day.
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD