How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. A.S. Desai Your Own Question
Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Category: Eye
Satisfied Customers: 2436
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince
Type Your Eye Question Here...
Dr. A.S. Desai is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My mother had what they think was a small stroke a year ago.

Resolved Question:

My mother had what they think was a small stroke a year ago. It caused her to have double vision. She is better now. She is 79 years old. This morning she showed me her eye that was bloodshot. Just one eye, and it is very red. Does she need to see a doctor right away?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 5 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer

Is there any other eye symptom in that eye such as pain/ reduced vision ?

Is she on anti-coagulants/ blood thinning medicines?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No pain, No change in vision. She takes Benicar, Metformin, and Lipitor. Also aspirin-81mg.
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 5 years ago.
It is likely to be from a sub-conjunctival hemorrhage.

In this condition the tiny blood vessels in the conjunctiva ( white part of the eye) get ruptured and bleed. It can occur under various circumstances such as excessive forceful coughing/sneezing, in hypertensive individuals, in those who are on blood thinning medicines such as low dose aspirin, following subtle eye injury or without any apparent reason too. It is self healing and will disappear within a week or two . In case of any other eye symptoms such as sudden reduction of vision , watering, discharge from the eyes , do get an eye check up done. But for a sub-conjunctival hemorrhage there is no need to visit an eye specialist.She can use lubricating eye drops such as preservative free Refresh tears eye drops, 1 drop 4 times a day for 2 weeks , for soothening effect( available over the counter).

Thank you and best wishes.

If you are satisfied with the answer , please press the accept button so that I get my dues.

A bonus and/or positive feedback are welcome.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist

Dr. A.S. Desai and other Eye Specialists are ready to help you