Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

what are my chances of contracting hiv from liquou amnii being

what are my chances of contracting hiv from liquou amnii being splashed in the left eye (very little) from an hiv positive patient?

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Your risk of contracting HIV from a small amount of amniotic fluid from an HIV+ patient is extremely small. In a normal eye that has no scratches and a healthy person with a normal immune system you really have nothing to worry about.

You hit the accept button as I was typing my answer. Is there anything else you would like to ask me or something I could explain in more depth? I am still here to continue our conversation at no additional charge...let me know.
Also, since you flushed your eye out immediately after exposure and also took the extra precaution of a week of anti-retroviral treatment I would put your chances of becoming HIV+ from this event at very close to zero.

I would not worry about it at this time.

Does this make sense to you?
In my opinion, from an ophthalmology point of view, there is no need to continue treatment. Of course, the best person to ask is an infectious disease specialist.