Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

Two nights ago my 25 year old son bent down in the dark and

his eye connected directly with...
two nights ago my 25 year old son bent down in the dark and his eye connected directly with the pole of the sweeper. His eye was bloodshot for just a short while and now looks fine. he refuses to go to the dr (no insurance and no job). His vision is now fine (was blurry) before but not light sensitive. He still has a headache and say that his eye feels pressure. should i force him to go to the dr (i said that i would pay for it).
12/8/2011
Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Doctor DanB : Hello and thanks for your question. Are you available to chat?
Doctor DanB : So the eye is light-sensitive now?

i was not able to respond to your question or say type at all during the session. No is not light sensitive, really never was. Bought him a patch but he did not wear it.

It is very likely that your son just sustain a contusion or bruise  To that end he should use cool compresses and artificial tears 3 to 4 times per day which should help the eye and the pressure he's feeling should get better. I would say he is likely okay to observe this for now, but if the pain increases rather than subsides or if the vision gets worse or he starts to get a red eye or light sensitivity then he should see the eye doctor right away. Does that make sense?
I am happy to be able to help you today. I will also be happy to answer any other questions until you have the information you need; please just respond with any further needs and I will address them then.
If not, Please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter; this allows part of the funds that you have deposited to the website to be released for my efforts to assist you. This does not end our conversation, however-we can continue to discuss any of your concerns without further charges until you are satisfied.
Any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. Thanks for your inquiry!
My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor.

so you think that it is okay to not force him to go to the doctor at this point. i feel like a bad mom.

i will monitor him. what artificial tears do you recommend?

I think it's probably okay for right now considering the vision is normal, the eye is not red or light-sensitive; unless it becomes that way.
There are several different brand names available OTC that are just fine: Systane, Refresh, Blink...
Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B.