Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

Just developed small irregular shadow in my left eye need to

Customer Question
just developed small irregular shadow...
just developed small irregular shadow in my left eye
need to assess now or can it wait
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Eye
12/7/2011
Eye Doctor: Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist replied 5 years ago
Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Doctor DanB : Hello and thanks for your question. Are you available to chat?
Doctor DanB : Does this shadow move around as you move your eyes, trialling behind the movements and then catching up when the eyes stop moving?
Doctor DanB : Do you have any flashing or arcing lights in your vision?
Doctor DanB : If the shadow does behave like this, then your object is likely what is called a vitreous floater. A floater tends to follow your eye movements, floating behind and then catching up to the same position they occupied. These floating spots or "bugs" or cobwebs (they can come in many shapes and sizes) as some people call them, are tiny pieces of the vitreous jelly that occupies a large amount of the volume of the back of the eye.  This vitreous jelly, when we're born, is the consistency of a jello jiggler (thick jello). As we age it liquifies and becomes more fibrous bands and water. Because of this liquification and the resultant fibrous bands that are left, there becomes more points of traction that the jelly exerts on the back of the eye where it is attached. As we move our eyes in different directions and as our pupils change shape, or even as we rub our eyes, some of these bands can become unattached from the back of the eye and a piece of it floats around, attached still to the rest of the jelly. It is this traction of the vitreous jelly on the retina that can sometimes produce flashes that you may see or may not see, or may see in the future.  If you have or develop them, flashes tend to be small, like starbursts and are usually intermittent; they can also appear as an arcing light. One of the most important things to understand about floaters is that the process of a new floater happening can rarely lead to a retinal detachment, so it is important to know the 4 signs of a possible retinal detachment. These are: 1. sudden increase in or new floaters, 2. flashing or arcing lights that are persistent and not going away, 3. a shade/shadow/spot in your vision that you can't see light through, or 4. a large drop in your vision which doesn't improve after a few minutes. For any of these symptoms you must see an ophthalmologist as soon as possible. 
Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B.