Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

After having never worn glasses in my life (I'm 34 years

Customer Question
old), I recently got diagnosed...
After having never worn glasses in my life (I'm 34 years old), I recently got diagnosed with an astigmatism and got a few pairs of glasses. Although I've always thought my vision was pretty good, I'm blown away with how crisp and perfect everything looks with my new lenses.
The only trouble is when I'm at work, staring at a computer screen all day. After a few hours, my eyes start to feel very tired and achy. I've been a computer programmer for ten years, and I've never had any eye strain at work before.
If I take off my glasses, the strain goes away and I can continue to work (the blur isn't severe enough to prevent me from reading any text on the screen).
Is this a normal adjustment period? Will the computer related eye strain go away? Should I be doing exercises to strengthen my eyes and make the strain go away? Or should I do my computer work without wearing glasses (since the blur is minor)?
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Eye
12/5/2011
Eye Doctor: Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD replied 5 years ago
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

How long have you have your new glasses for?

Customer:

About two weeks.

Customer:

Though most of that time was on vacation, during which I wore the glasses all day every day without any discomfort. Today is my third day back at work, and I've experienced the same eye strain each day.

Dr. Rick :

ok

Dr. Rick :

There are two possibilities for your difficulties. The most likely is that your brain just needs more time at work to get used to your new, crisp & clear vision. I would give it at least 3 weeks of full time wear at work before giving up....sorry, but the time using them on vacation doesn't count toward this total :(

Customer:

Okay, that's good news. I wasn't sure if the whole notion of "adjusting to new glasses" was an urban myth or a real thing.

Dr. Rick :

The other possibility is that your brain can not tolerate the full glasses Rx, even though it gives you great vision. In this case your eye doctor can back off on the prescription a bit...not so much that you notice a decease in your vision but enough that you don't get the eye strain.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Customer:

Yep. Makes perfect sense.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick :

Ok. Glad to help :o)

Customer:

Are the other mitigating factors that might also be taken into consideration? I've heard that fluorescent office lights can exacerbate eye strain. Is that true?

Customer:

What about exercises to speed the adjustment period?

Dr. Rick :

There have been no good studies to back up that claim....so I really don't believe it to be true.

Dr. Rick :

Nope. No exercises......

Customer:

(I'll let you off the hook in another minute or two :)

Dr. Rick :

ok....

Customer:

Okay, perfect. I'll just continue to work as normal, and hopefully three weeks from now, I'll be in the clear.

Customer:

Thanks!

Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD