Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

I'm 54 yr. old female who had detatched retina due to

Customer Question
genetic weakness. Had laser...
I'm 54 yr. old female who had detatched retina due to genetic weakness. Had laser, gas bubble, and buckle in left eye. 5 months later I still see an X on anything I focus on in that left eye. When reading up close, the X is right on the word I'm trying to read. Thank God I have my right eye to do everything with! My doctor has never heard of this before> What about you?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Eye
12/3/2011
Eye Doctor: Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD replied 6 years ago
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Darn! I had almost finished addressing your question when the chat system was attacked by Gremlins and all my words were lost to cyberspace :o(
Well, let's try again using the Q&A system, shall we?
Yes, I have heard of this. I would expect from your symptoms that the pathology causing your visual problems is located in an area of your retina called the Macula. This very small, but important, piece of tissue is used when reading, watching TV and doing most of your daily activities.
Since you required not only a scleral buckle but a vitrectomy with a gas/fluid exchange (and endolaser as well I bet)I am not surprised that you have some macular damage. It is good, however that, at least from what you have told me, you have maintained useful vision in that eye after all that you have been through. I am sure that your retina surgeon told you to expect a cataract to form in the future that will need to be addressed with a second surgery, correct?
Now, what can you do about this X that is stuck in the middle of your visual field? Well, I'm sorry to say, very little. Sure, you could have a fluorescein angiogram and other tests to better quantify the pathology but, unless there is some swelling or leaking that can be treated (and I get the impression from your statement that this X has been stable for awhile), there is nothing that can be done.
I'm kinda surprised that your doctor has never heard of this. Is she an ophthalmologist or an optometrist? With you history I think you would be best served by obtaining all your eye care from an ophthalmologist.....
Does this make sense to you?
And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)
I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.
Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD