Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon
20222826

What options are available when you have high eye pressure

What options are available when you have high eye pressure but drops and laser treatment are no longer helping to reduce this ?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. James replied 5 years ago.
Dr. James :

Hello.

Dr. James :

Do you have nerve damage?
How high is the pressure?

Customer:

Customer:

This is actually for my mother. Not sure of the exact readings but I know they have been high for a while and drops have been used for many years. Drops recently not working so well and painful so laser treatment tried on both eyes and pressure went down for a few months but last check were up again. Not sure about nerve damage but I think sight is reducing. If necessary I can find out more exact details. Thanks

Dr. James :

thank you.

Dr. James :

The next step is surgery.

Dr. James :

The goal of surgery is to create an alternate pathway for fluid inside the eye to filter out and decrease the pressure.

Dr. James :

The decision for surgery is dependent on the extent of nerve damage and how high the pressure is.

Dr. James :

If she had a laser called SLT, then this can be repeated to see if it can lower the pressure even further.

Dr. James :

Please let me know if you have any other questions or if I can clarify anything.

Dr. James :

Please remember to press accept so I can get credit for assisting you today.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks. Yes, it was SLT. How often can this be repeated and what are the chances of ultimate success if the pressure has gone up again since the first go ? Photo being taken soon to check for nerve damage. What are the implications eitherway ? Are her children/grandchildren considered more likely to eventually face the same issue ?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Any response to my follow-up question ?

Thanks

Expert:  Dr. James replied 5 years ago.
SLT can be repeated many times. If it worked well the first time, then it has a good chance of working again. The pressure reduction usually lasts more than a few months however. So that may indicate that SLT may not be too effective for her. It is worth a try again, however.
If your mother has glaucoma, then first degree relatives are at slightly increased risk of developing it as well.