Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I cant get my contact out. i tried for about an hour but i

I cant get my contact out. i tried for about an hour but i decided to just give it a rest since it was becoming sore and irritated. what should i do? I dont really want to rush to a dr. if i dont have to. Also I work in a hospital, im a surgical tech and will be gpong to work in the morning. can it wait til then if necessary?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

If your contact is stuck in your eye it is not a good idea to leave it in overnight.

Dr. Rick :

Is there anyone around who can help you?

Customer:

ok. well just my husband but im not sure how much help he would be. Any tricks to getting it out i could try?

Dr. Rick :

Ok. We can do this :)

Dr. Rick :

First. Get your husband. Have him wash his hands. Also, get a bottle of saline if have it, or any artificial tears......

Customer:

ok. I have him and I have saline

Dr. Rick :

Ok. Let me give you the instructions. The two of look them over, ask me any questions and then we will get this contact out. Ok?

Customer:

ok

Dr. Rick :

Ok. First have him look at your eye so he is able to see your contact and know what it looks like to get him ready for the next step. Then have him hold your eye open over the sink or a towel and wet your eye a lot with a stream of saline. This will moisten things up and hopefully get a thin film of saline between your cornea and the sticky lens. After the eye is wet, you look straight at him so he can see your eye and contact.

Customer:

ok we'll give it a try

Dr. Rick :

Then he should, with you trying to look straight ahead, hold your lids open with his non-dominant hand, and using his thumb and fore finger (let's assume he doesn't have long fingernails :) he can, while looking at the lens, pinch it off your eye. This should work.

Dr. Rick :

Do you have all the steps now? Any questions?

Dr. Rick :

The lens should fold up like a taco between his thumb and finger.

Dr. Rick :

Are you still alive?

Customer:

haha yes im alive. my eye is so red it is really hard to see the lens and its really stinging when its touched. do you think if we wait a couple of hours it will get any better so that its easier? My eye is being very uncooperative right now!

Dr. Rick :

No. I don't think it is going to get much better since the lens is now irritating the eye. You may also have a corneal abrasion by now. Just to make sure that my assumption is correct: You are wearing a soft contact, correct?

Dr. Rick :

What time is it in your part of the world?

Customer:

Yes thats correct and i was worried about the corneal abrasion myself thats why i was trying not to mess with it too much. It is almost 10 pm here.

Dr. Rick :

Ok. Same time here.

Dr. Rick :

Well, the lens should come out. There is a risk of corneal infection if it stays in all night and you can't let your favorite surgeons go it alone tomorrow, eh? I know how unhappy when my favorite scrub tech doesn't show up and I get one of the belly nurses in my Retina OR ;o)

Dr. Rick :

Do you think the Er docs would let you just "walk in" under the "fill out this paperwork and pay us a thousand bucks for an ER visit" and just take the lens out for you?

Dr. Rick :

Without making you register etc?

Customer:

I dont know they may. I just hate the ER so much lol! its always the worst at night too! I may call my sister first and see if she can help me. I know shes not an eye expert but she is a nurse and may have better luck then my husband with helping me. If that doesnt work then ill break down and go to the ER

Dr. Rick :

Ok. That sounds like a good plan. If you do get the lens out and it still feels like something is in your eye it is most likely due to an abrasion. You can just put some bland ointment, such as lacrilube or refresh PM in your eye and go to bed. If it still hurts a lot in the morning, after you report for work so that you favorite surgeon doesn't have to do all the work herself ;o) you should have an ophthalmologist take a look at you.

Dr. Rick :

Does this sound good to you?

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick :

Let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.

Customer:

ok sounds good thank you for your help