Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

73 year old male. One month post cataract surgery, Toric

73 year old male....
73 year old male. One month post cataract surgery, Toric lens.
My right eye has small but troublesome areas of blurriness. Not showing a year ago in field-of-vision testing, but showing now. Showed immediately post surgery, no change since. I can see the word or letters I am staring at, but close by there are a couple blurry areas. It bothers my reading if I am using that eye. The blurry areas of the field of vision are perhaps 1 % or less of the total field, and seem to be more in my central field. The blurriness is not affected by the color of the print, black, blue, red, green.
Ophthalmologist says it is in the retina but there are none of the typical retinal pathologies. There seem to be no issues with the surgery.
11/21/2011
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

I agree with your surgeon. I would expect you to have a peri-foveal retinal abnormality corresponding to the area of your distortion.

Dr. Rick :

It may not be easily visible on clinical exam but should light up with a fluorescein angiogram.

Dr. Rick :

Now. What could have caused this? Well, many things and the actual cause may never be found. It might be from light damage, although this is not very common with modern cataract surgery. There could also be a small vascular infarct.

Dr. Rick :

If your surgeon does not have the facility to perform angiography I would suggest you consult with a retina specialist.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I was just working on your question. Welcome to chat.

Customer:

Thanks. My follow up is this. Can I assume (not guarantee) that the condition will probably be stable. Not get better, not get worse. I was considering that if a virus got to the retina via the ocular nerve path that it could be a spreading situation.

Dr. Rick :

That is a very good question. As a retina specialist I can tell you that your symptoms do not make me think you have a viral retinal infection at all. I would not give this a second thought. Also, you are correct -- your visual issues will, most likely, remain unchanged as the retina doesn't heal itself very vell.

Dr. Rick :

well.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Customer:

Yes, a good working concept. I accept.

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure. Have a good day.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Let me know if there is anything else I can assist you with. Take care.
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD