Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

Why my son has tears in his eyes

Customer Question
Why my son has tears in his eyes
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Eye
11/20/2011
Eye Doctor: Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD replied 6 years ago
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Can you tell me a little bit more about your son's problem? How old is he? What sort of tearing is he having? What causes his eyes to tear.

Dr. Rick :

Are you available to chat?

Customer:

I am available to chat

Customer:

He has tears from time to time

Customer:

He is 38 years old

Customer:

I have no idea what cause it

Customer:

Is it from dry eyes?

Customer:

Are you there?

Customer:

hello. I am still waiting

Dr. Rick :

oops...sorry about that. I

Dr. Rick :

I had to step away from my computer.....my blood coffee levels were getting low :)

Dr. Rick :

Dry eyes is a distinct possibility. However, in my experience, issues like what your son is dealing with are usually caused by a few problems all acting at once. Common issues such as dry eyes (which you have already mentioned), allergies and blepharitis can all contribute to watery eyes. The good news? There is a simple, at home, therapy he can do that should make things better.

Dr. Rick :

When it comes to allergies it is almost impossible to pin down the offending agent(s) and, therefore, treatment needs to focus on controlling the symptoms. Dry eyes are very common and can be improved by a stepwise series of therapies. First, the use of natural tears 4-6+ times/day to augment your natural tear production, if this doesn’t work then you can try temporary punctal occlusion of the lower puncta, then, if needed, temporary occlusion of all 4 puncta then, if indicated, surgical ( non-reversible) closure of the puncta. The openings to your tear drainage system are called puncta and you have one opening on each lid, near your nose.

Blepharitis is a condition where glands in the eyelids are not functioning normally. They become plugged and instead of putting out their normal clear, oily secretions, they put out thick, toothpaste like gunk. You may not be able to see this “gunk” yourself, unless it is really bad, but it shows up clearly on slit lamp examination.

The best treatment for this condition is daily lid scrubs combined with warm compresses. I like to use baby shampoo for lid scrubs. In the shower, place the shampoo on your index fingers, close your eyes, raise your eyebrows (to stretch the skin on your eyelids) and scrub back and forth along your eyelashes for 3 to 5 minutes. The hot water in the shower helps to soften the plugged oils in the glands while the mechanical scrubbing with your soapy fingers removes the oils.

Baby shampoo lid scrubs will also help to wash away allergens and stimulate tear production, thereby addressing all three of your issues. Remember, this is not an instant fix. While you are waiting for the lid scrubs to have affect you can use over the counter allergy pills such as Travist, dimetapp or Zyrtec.

Should your symptoms get worse, your vision become significantly affected or things just not get better in 3 weeks or so you should have a complete eye examination by your local ophthalmologist to look for other, less common, causes of your symptoms.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

Are you still there?

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the YES button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick :

I guess that you, too, have taken a short break away from your computer. I'm sorry that we keep on missing each other. However, this is no big deal...we can use the Q&A system to 'text message' each other. An email will be sent to each of us every time something is posted to this thread.

Let me know if there are there any other concerns or issues you would like to discuss on this topic.
Please feel free to ask me another question – if you’re a subscriber, you can do so at no additional cost beyond your monthly payment. Please bookmark my profile page here so you can come back and ask me a question anytime: http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-rick/

What is the answer to my question regarding wearing sunglasses?

I asked if not wearing eyeglasses will cause damage to the eye.

I'm sorry....that part of your question never posted :(
Wearing sunglasses is strictly a personal choice. It will not harm or protect your eyes so feel free to wear them or not as you desire.
I am waiting for the complete answer please
I'm sorry if you are having problems reading my post. There may be a glitch in the chat system today. Allow me to copy and paste our entire conversation here for your review:
Dr. Rick : Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.
Dr. Rick : Can you tell me a little bit more about your son's problem? How old is he? What sort of tearing is he having? What causes his eyes to tear.
Dr. Rick : Are you available to chat? Customer: I am available to chat Customer: He has tears from time to time Customer: He is 38 years old Customer: I have no idea what cause it Customer: Is it from dry eyes? Customer: Are you there? Customer: hello. I am still waiting
Dr. Rick : oops...sorry about that. I
Dr. Rick : I had to step away from my computer.....my blood coffee levels were getting low :)
Dr. Rick : Dry eyes is a distinct possibility. However, in my experience, issues like what your son is dealing with are usually caused by a few problems all acting at once. Common issues such as dry eyes (which you have already mentioned), allergies and blepharitis can all contribute to watery eyes. The good news? There is a simple, at home, therapy he can do that should make things better.
Dr. Rick : When it comes to allergies it is almost impossible to pin down the offending agent(s) and, therefore, treatment needs to focus on controlling the symptoms. Dry eyes are very common and can be improved by a stepwise series of therapies. First, the use of natural tears 4-6+ times/day to augment your natural tear production, if this doesn’t work then you can try temporary punctal occlusion of the lower puncta, then, if needed, temporary occlusion of all 4 puncta then, if indicated, surgical ( non-reversible) closure of the puncta. The openings to your tear drainage system are called puncta and you have one opening on each lid, near your nose.
Dr. Rick : Does this make sense to you?
Dr. Rick : Are you still there?
Dr. Rick : And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)
Dr. Rick : I guess that you, too, have taken a short break away from your computer. I'm sorry that we keep on missing each other. However, this is no big deal...we can use the Q&A system to 'text message' each other. An email will be sent to each of us every time something is posted to this thread.
Join my other 2,000 + satisfied customers and bookmark my profile to ask future questions at: http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-rick/
Dr. Rick (Online)
What's This?
98% Positive Feedback
2124 Eye Accepts
Board Certified Ophthalmologist
General ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina subspeciality interest
Info Request
11/20/2011 at 10:45 AM (24 minutes and 26 seconds later)
What Happens Now?
Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.
Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert. You will also receive an email when your question is updated. If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.
If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above. Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Dr. Rick (Online)
What's This?
98% Positive Feedback
2124 Eye Accepts
Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Answer
Submit this Q&A as an Expert Test Question
11/20/2011 at 10:45 AM (24 seconds later)
Dr. Rick (Online)
What's This?
98% Positive Feedback
2124 Eye Accepts
Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Reply
11/20/2011 at 10:49 AM (3 minutes and 53 seconds later)
I asked if not wearing eyeglasses will cause damage to the eye. Customer(Online) -- 0 Accepts / 1 Answered Question (1 Open) -- Deposit Made!
Answer
11/20/2011 at 10:52 AM (3 minutes and 17 seconds later)
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Did that work? Let me know if there is anything else you would like to ask me today....if not:
My system shows that you are online. I am here if you need anything else.
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD