Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

Dr. Rick only please if you get on I need to ask you a

question....
Dr. Rick only please if you get on I need to ask you a question.
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/18/2011
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm here. What would you like to know?

Customer:

Hey Dr. Rick I have a pvd in my left eye. I have talk to you about this before. Yesterday i noticed when I am on the computer and look to the left from my peripheral vision the computer monitor is distorted. Is this normal with a PVD I also have astigmatism in that eye. When I turn to look with my right eye it does not do that, and I have astigmatism also in that eye.

Customer:

I don't notice it only on the computer when I turn my head it doesn't seem to be doing that any other time.

Dr. Rick :

Did you have a chance to see an ophthalmologist for a complete exam since the last time we chatted?

Customer:

no I haven't I don't have one that lives close.

Customer:

It's hard for me to leave my home as I am home bound

Customer:

I was going to go to the ER if you think this is an emergency

Dr. Rick :

It is not an emergency...and an ER doc is of no value when it comes to eye issues since they don't have the training or equipment to do an eye exam......

Dr. Rick :

Does the peripheral distortion occur when you look at anything else?

Customer:

it doesn't seem to I am sitting here with my mom and she is to the side of me and there is no movement whatsoever

Customer:

when I look

Customer:

I wouldn't have noticed it yesterday if I had been turning my head away from the computer and I noticed the screen out of the corner of my eye was moving flickering waving or something.

Customer:

But it was not doing it out of my right when I turned the other way

Dr. Rick :

Could this be a sign of a small peripheral retinal detachment? Yes. Given that it seems to be limited to the time you noticed your computer screen out of the corner of your eye and doesn't seem to be be noticeable with other visual tasks, I feel that it is NOT a detachment in progress.

Customer:

what is it then?

Dr. Rick :

Could I be wrong? Sure. (But, please, don't tell my wife or daughters that you heard me say that lol!) The only way to be positive is to dilate your eyes and have a look

Dr. Rick :

I'm not sure what it could be....dry spot on your eyes....lot's of things.

Customer:

anything really bad?

Dr. Rick :

I understand that getting out to an ophthalmologists office is difficult for you but a complete eye exam is the only way to be positive. Is it an emergency? Nope.

Customer:

I thought maybe it was due to the astigmatism but I have them in both eyes, and it is not doing that in my peripheral of my right eye. But my left eye is much worse.

Customer:

It does it with & without my glasses

Dr. Rick :

The worse thing it could be, from what you are saying, is a retinal detachment in progress....but I kinda get the feeling (pretty scientific, eh?) that that is not what is going on.

Customer:

I sure hope you are right.

Dr. Rick :

nope....not the astigmatism. That would be the same all the time.

Customer:

I figured

Dr. Rick :

Watch it closely....if it persists or gets larger get in for an exam.

Customer:

I would think that it would do it with more then just the computer monitor, but I don't notice any waves or flickering

Customer:

otherwise

Dr. Rick :

Exactly....

Customer:

That eye does feel very heavy when I close my eyelid I see a blob when my eye is closed left periperal

Dr. Rick :

The feeling of heaviness is not related to this condition....the blob goes along with your recent PVD

Customer:

I see.

Customer:

i had read online when I noticed the wavy flickering out of the corner that is was a retinal detachment that scared me, that is why i came on here.

Customer:

But like I said it's only on the computer that is why i didn't know if it was serious enough for me to get to the ER, because all the eye places are closed now.

Dr. Rick :

Good idea... since retinal detachment are my "bread and butter" I think you are ok....but, I must admit, I would feel better if you could have a complete exam by an ophthalmologist.

Customer:

I really wish one lived close to me it is so hard for me to go very far.

Dr. Rick :

Northern Wisconsin is not close to anywhere :o)

Customer:

So you do think this goes along with the PVD?

Customer:

neither is Moundsville, WV

Dr. Rick :

Hard to tell. I would consul you to check this blurry area a few times a day and have a low threshold for getting in to see an eye surgeon if you think it is getting more noticeable

Customer:

We do have an opthalmologist that does the cateract (?) surgeries here, but I don't know if it does more than that since that is what is listed in the yellow pages.

Customer:

if he

Customer:

check the blurry area with more than just the computer screen?

Dr. Rick :

A cataract surgeon would be an excellent person to see. If there a small hole she would be able to safely treat that in most cases and if it needs a retina surgeon she will have a relationship with one....every cataract surgeon needs a Friendly Neighborhood Retina Doc hanging around.

Dr. Rick :

yes.

Customer:

okay thank you, ***** ***** your help. have a good night.

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the YES button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Customer:

bye now

Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD