Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I have a multifocal lens in one eye (six months ago) after

I have a multifocal lens in one eye (six months ago) after cataract surgery. None in the other. I have worsened glare at night, especially in the rain. The glare/halos etc are the real reason I did this in the first place. Wearing glasses is not a big deal to me. I am unhappy with my vision in general. I am told by more than 3 opthalmologists that the best way to fix this is to get the other eye done with another multifocal. I am terrified. If my 'virgin' eye turns out like this one, I will be disabled. I am 59 and too young to have to stop driving at night, I work full time.
The cure is not only another lens, but one MD wants me to try expensive computer based neural vision training.
What can I do to improve my vision?
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

I, personally, do not believe that "neural vision training" will do anything to address your issues. Also, I agree with you.....If you are having such a difficult time with a multifocal lens in your one eye I would be very hesitant to have a multifocal lens placed into your second eye in the "hopes" that this will, somehow, cure the problems you have been having with the first eye.

Dr. Rick :

This being said, one condition that could be causing your glare problems is a posterior capsule opacity. This forms in a number of patients a few months (rarely) to a few years (more common time frame...) after surgery. This condition, however, would be evident to your surgeon on exam and, from what you have written, your eyes have been examined on a number of occasions since your symptoms have started. As such, I don't think a PCO is your problem.

Dr. Rick :

If you are having so much difficulty with your vision as it is I would recommend having the multifocal lens removed and replaced with a monofocal lens. As far as your second eye goes, I would also recommend a standard multifocal intraocular lens. Sure, you may need reading glasses and/or a mild distance Rx with this type of intraocular lens but they will provide you with your best opportunity for clear, hassle-free vision.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the YES button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Let me know

Dr. Rick :

Hi. Welcome to chat. I was just finishing up with your question. Is there anything you would like to ask me or anything you I can cover in more detail for you?

Customer:

the 2nd eye should get the multifocal?

Dr. Rick :

No. Since you have had such a difficult time with the multifocal I would stay away from that type

Dr. Rick :

Not everyone can tolerate the multifocal lens.....and I think you fit into that catagory.

Customer:

I appreciate your insight re the neural vision training. I am told a brain sometimes needs months and months to adjust tothe multifocal. DO you think, since this is post op since June, I will still develop some benefit from this lens, or is it just time to cut bait and move one, ie get the monofocal lens?

Dr. Rick :

That is a very good question and, you are correct, sometimes it can take 6 months or more to "get used to" these lenses.....but you are now 6 months out. I would think that only a very, very small percentage of people who haven't gotten used to the multifical lens by now will ever find that they are happy with them

Customer:

ok, sir thank you very much...of course I accept your answer