Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

Flashes of light when moving my head

Customer Question
flashes of light when moving my head
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Eye
11/15/2011
Eye Doctor: Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD replied 6 years ago
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. Welcome to chat.

Dr. Rick :

Do you see things floating in your vision too?

Customer:

yes

Dr. Rick :

OK. Not to worry......I know what is going on.....

Dr. Rick :

You are likely experiencing a PVD or posterior vitreous detachment, a common event that happens in many people.

You have a thick gel material in the middle of your eyes called the vitreous. Over time as it liquefies, this gel material collapses on itself, forms little clumps that you can see as dots, lines or bugs. As these clumps form the vitreous pulls away from the wall of the eye. In the process it can stimulate the retina -- causing the flashes that you may see.

It is recommended that you see your ophthalmologist to look at the retina to make sure there are no problems such as a retinal hole or tear. In most cases, there are no problems, but this exam is precautionary and allows for preventative treatment of any lesions that are found.

If you notice a sudden increase in floaters, flashes of light (like a lightning storm), or a shadow/veil in the periphery of your vision, this can be worrisome for a retinal detachment. You would need to contact your ophthalmologist promptly in that case.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

Are you still there?

Customer:

yes

Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD