Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

When I woke up this morning I scratch my eyes. In one of my

Customer Question
eyes, I got the feeling...
When I woke up this morning I scratch my eyes. In one of my eyes, I got the feeling that the scratch is like having an eyelash in my eye. So I kept scratching to get it out, but it became worst. I went to the mirror to try to see something and I found nothing. I put some over the counter eye drops and I feel ok. What should I do?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Eye
11/12/2011
Eye Doctor: Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD replied 6 years ago
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Do you wear contact lenses?

Dr. Rick :

And if you do wear them, did you sleep in them last night?

Dr. Rick :

Good morning. Welcome to the chat system.

Dr. Rick :

Also, do you remember how you might have scratched your eyes?

Customer:

I do not wear contact lenses

Dr. Rick :

Ok.

Dr. Rick :

How is your vision in the affected eye?

Customer:

I used my fingers (not the nails) to go over my closed eyes

Customer:

The vision is ok, the problem is that I have the feeling I got something in the eye

Dr. Rick :

Ok. Well, is sounds like some of the skin on the clear part of your eye (cornea) has been scratched off. The good news? Even though this will hurt for a bit it should heal without any residual damage to your eye or your vision.

Customer:

Ok thanks

Dr. Rick :

The best thing you can do is continue to use the artificial tears to soothe your eyes along with cool compresses. If you find that the drops are not soothing your eye for a long enough time you can use OTC ointment such as lacrilube or refresh PM to soothe your eye. This ointment will, however, blur your vision for a bit.

Dr. Rick :

Everything should be fine within 24 hours.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Customer:

Yes, thanks

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure. I hope you feel better soon.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the YES button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Let me know if there are there any other concerns or issues you would like to discuss on this topic.
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD