Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

If graham's grandfather had iritis several times in his life

If graham's grandfather had iritis several times in his life should I worry rhat this issue with Graham's dialted pupil might be related genetically?
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

While a dilated pupil in an otherwise normal, to casual inspection, can be seen in children who have uveitis such as is seen with juvenile rheumatoid arthritis, I don't think that Graham's different pupil sizes is related to his Grandfathers history of iritis.

Dr. Rick :

That being said, if you sitting there talking to the pediatric ophthalmologist it wouldn't hurt to mention it to her....but I really don't think the two are related.

Dr. Rick :

Is there anything else you would like to ask me since we both seem to be online at the moment?

Customer:

Yes, thanks. His grandfather had ankelosing spondilitis and was told that the gene for this disease was passed to him from his mother and that women in the family would be the carriers of this disease. Graham is the son of the daughter of this grandfather. Does that make this issue more worrysome?

Dr. Rick :

Yes....and no. Could Graham have the gene for AS? Yes. Does everyone with this marker get AS? No. Does AS, with it's attendant eye issues (uveitis, glaucoma etc) show up in small children? Nope. So. For now, I would not worry about this issue as it applies to your grandson.

Customer:

OK thanks...wish I could print this answer to show to the family. You have eased my mind.

Dr. Rick :

You can print it :)

Dr. Rick :

Just highlight the text by left click and moving the mouse over the text. Right click the highlighted text, hit copy. Then open a word processing program like MS word, right click and hit paste. Then print, email, save as normal.

Customer:

Sadly, nothing happened when I clicked on the printer symbol. Oh well, thanks anyway.

Dr. Rick :

no. Not the printer symbol. Like I outlined above.....that will work....

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive

Dr. Rick :

Ask your Grandson lol!

Dr. Rick :

I always ask my kids when I have a computer issue :o)

Dr. Rick :

Is there anything else I can help you with today?

Dr. Rick :

I guess you have stepped away from your computer....

Let me know if there is anything else I can do to help you. Have a good day.