Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

I have one eye that waters (sometimes excessively) daily. It

is always the same eye...
I have one eye that waters (sometimes excessively) daily. It is always the same eye and is never itchy or red or has any other symptoms. What could be causing this
11/8/2011
Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Doctor DanB : Hello and thanks for your question. Ate you available to chat?
Customer:

yes

Doctor DanB : Given your symptoms, the two most common causes are a tear-duct obstruction or an eyelid abnormality. Usually the eyelid abnormality that causes tearing is a relaxing of the eyelid skin causing the eyelid to fall away from the eyeball, sometimes ever so slightly, which can cause tearing. But usually this type of eyelid abnormality is seen in older individuals, so I don't expect this to be the case with you unless there has been prior surgery or trauma to this eye.
Customer:

so if it is a tear duct obstruction, what is the remedy for that? I would lean more toward that vs. the other just because I don't fall into either of the other options.

Customer:

some days the watering is worse than others, but if I recall correctly, it does happen every day quite a bit. At times I will be just sitting there and a tear will roll down my cheek--frustrating.

Doctor DanB : As I suspect a tear-duct obstruction, you need to have a workup done by an ophthalmologist which may include dilating the tear duct and probing it as well as irrigating it to determine if there is a blockage there.
Customer:

Thank you for the information. I will check with my eye Dr. Is this something that is urgent? as I have had this for a few months not really thinking it was a big deal until it got annoying. Now I am a little bit worried about it.

Doctor DanB : No, this isn't urgent; as you said, it's been going on a few months. Don't be worried. I don't expect this is something that will get worse over time. But probably won't get better until its addresses by the ophthalmologist.
Customer:

Ok. thank you very much! have a good evening.

Doctor DanB : You're welcome. Do you have any other concerns about this that I haven't addressed?
Customer:

no, that is all I needed to know about. Thanks.

Doctor DanB : My pleasure. Please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter; this allows part of the funds that you have deposited to the website to be released for my efforts to assist you. This does not end our conversation, however-we can continue to discuss any of your concerns without further charges until you are satisfied. Any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. Thanks for your inquiry! My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor.
Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B.