Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

My sister underwent knee surgery a few weeks ago, and post

My sister underwent knee surgery a few weeks ago, and post op, she has developed complications with her eyes believed to be related to the anesthesia. 1 month later, her eyes are rolling around uncontrollably at the top where her eye lids are located and she cannot see. Is this common? Will this eventually go away, and if unsure, where are the specialists located who have dealt with similar conditions? Thank you.
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

This is not a normal, or a common, response to anesthesia.

Dr. Rick :

How old is your sister? Does she have any medical conditions or take any medicine? If she closes one eye at a time, wearing her normal glasses, can she see at all if, and when, she can get her eyes to point toward an object?

Customer:

She is 25, no major medical conditions, she basically has no control of her eyes,

Customer:

they are moving around uncontrollably, and she cannot get her eyes to focus.

Dr. Rick :

Other then her eyes is she having any other physical problems ie: with her hands, legs, speech etc....

Customer:

no other physical problems.

Customer:

she's going through physical therapy at the moment to work through her knee.

Customer:

but she's confirmed that there are no issues.

Dr. Rick :

Ok. Well, the best trained person to deal with this issue would be a neuro-ophthalmologist. I am sure that she will also need some type of neuro imaging such as a MRI etc.

Dr. Rick :

Has she been examined by an ophthalmologist yet? And if so, what were the findings?

Customer:

Yes,

Customer:

she spoke with a neuro-opthamologist a few days ago, (she lives in NJ) and the response (without any proper evaluation) just a relay of the symptoms was that there was nothing he could do.

Customer:

Apparently, there's been more than one person who has said to "wait it out", Im not sold on that as a viable option.

Dr. Rick :

If the neuro-ophthalmologist has already formed an opinion before even examining her....which doesn't make sense to me at all.....then the next step would be to seek an opinion at a large University Teaching Program. How far from NYC is your sister?

Customer:

she's close; about an hour away.

Dr. Rick :

OK. I trained in NYC and can highly recommend the folks at New York Eye & Ear. Here is a link to their web site:

Dr. Rick :

http://www.nyee.edu/

Dr. Rick :

While they may come to the same conclusion that the other physicians she has spoken to I am sure that they will wait to form this opinion until after then had gone over her with a fine tooth comb.

Customer:

and they specialize in neuro-opthamology?

Dr. Rick :

That being said, sometimes "just waiting" is still the best that modern medicine can do :(

Dr. Rick :

They have every eye sub-specialty available as well as an extensive research division.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Customer:

yes, I understand. thank you for your comments Dr. Rick, I will follow up on your suggestion.

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure. I hope your sister gets better soon.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the YES button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Let me know if there are there any other concerns or issues you would like to discuss on this topic.
If you have a chance drop me a note and let me know how things turn out. You can post to this thread or ask for me at the main screen at no additional charge.