Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I have a fairly good size cataract - just came from eye

I have a fairly good size cataract - just came from eye surgeon. He's referred me to have a B-scan at a retinal specialists' office to ensure everything is clear behind the lens - so there are no surprises during cataract surgery. Is this standard ?? He said my cataract is "white" so he can't see behind it.
Thank you
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Customer:

Hello

Dr. Rick :

Yes. It is an excellent thing to do. The B scan will make sure that there is no retinal detachment, large tumors, bleeding etc behind your white cataract.

Customer:

Should I be overly concerned? Is there any other symptoms I would be having?

Dr. Rick :

What it will NOT tell you is if there is any problems with the macula, such as macular degeneration or any other, more subtle, retinal issues.

Dr. Rick :

There is no need to be overly concerned. This just means that you have a very conscientious and concerned cataract surgeon :o)

Customer:

terrific! Also, will my eyes be dilated for the B-scan? I'm trying to reduce my time away from work

Dr. Rick :

I am a retina specialist and do B scans all the time for any number of reasons, one of them being mature, dense cataracts...

Customer:

And can all of those other problems you mentioned be treated?

Dr. Rick :

No. Have you ever had an ultrasound? Like for pregnancy?

Customer:

Yes, for pregnancy I have

Dr. Rick :

Some can, some can't but in any event the cataract has to be removed first....

Customer:

OK. Thank you for your kindness! You've eased my mind.

Dr. Rick :

Ok. A B scan is a lot like what you had for the baby....only with a smaller probe. Sometimes the probe is placed on your eyeball after it is numbed but sometimes it is done with goop on your closed lids. It is a very easy, quick test. No pain involved.

Customer:

I hope it's on my eyelid - on my eyeball sounds gross! This whole procedure creeps me out but I really miss vision in my right eye :)

Dr. Rick :

Best of luck on your upcoming surgery and improved vision. You will love your new depth perception...and just think, you can now spend even more money when you go to the movies and watch them in 3D!

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the YES button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Customer:

That was my last question = has the cataract been what's really messed up my depth perception?

Customer:

And you have a great sense of humor! I appreciate that :-)

Dr. Rick :

yes. with only one eye able to see, you have very poor ability to tell depth.....

Dr. Rick :

That should return to normal once you get both eyes working together again.

Customer:

my shoes and ankles will be very happy I won't be tripping on steps! Thank you again!